Gordan’s 100 Day Challenge: Portrait and Figure structure

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Gordan’s 100 Day Challenge: Portrait and Figure structure

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 13

Some time it feels like the more you do it, the worse you become.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Gordan. It feels like that sometimes, but don’t be discouraged – your brain is processing a lot of information and it takes time for it to click into place. I’d say don’t judge your work for a while yet. I still don’t ‘get’ heads after four months drawing them with reasonable regularity. It will come – just be patient. That being said, you’re doing some good work. I can see a lot of figure comprehension in your drawings. I’ve answered your question about drawing overhand on my post. I hope it’s helpful 🙂.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Deborah, I appreciate your encouragement!

Day 14

Started working with figure box forms.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by GordanKnezic.
    GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 15

More box forms. I am following Glenn’s procedure starting with gesture, spherical forms and then finishing off with box forms. It felt more comfortable today, hopefully that will be the case tomorrow too. I also reviewed Steve’s second series of lectures on the structure of head.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 16

Continuing with practice of gesture, spherical forms and box figure forms. Also did some timed portrait poses trying to capture just what I worked on so far: gesture, basic head structure and proper feature placings.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 17

More work on figure box forms. I seem to enjoy sketching with a fountain pen and doing little modelling with water-colour. Initially I was hesitant, but now it is becoming lots of fun. Most importantly with every sketch I am sticking with incremental process steps that Glenn outlined: gesture, spherical forms, box forms. I think I feel fairly comfortable with the box forms so likely tomorrow will proceed with the next lecture on combining spherical and box forms.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 18

More box forms. I also just started with Glenn’s head structure course. It feels very good so far and I am hoping that this will get me out of rut.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Gordan. You definitely seem to have left your rut behind (not that I thought you were ever in one) – your work is looking great! It seems to be really flowing and working for you. Good to see you enjoying what you’re doing! Keep up the good work!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Deborah!

Day 19

It has been a busy weekend as usual but I managed to scrounge couple of hours of work.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 20

Today I did timed 1-5 min poses, practiced drawing form variations combining ball and cube, started working on cylindrical forms and continued with head structure lectures.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 21

Doing daily timed poses, continuing with lectures on cylindrical forms. After drawing along with Glenn I tried to apply the learning of cylindrical forms and did another pose on my own. It did not work out nearly as good, but it is ok. I feel I am missing articulation, as Glenn says I “feel” what the pose is doing but am unable to find the way to express it. And that is especially the case on inner part of the figure. It will come I am sure.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 22

Today I did timed poses : 1,2 and 5 minutes.  The model I picked had a selection of very complicated poses so that turned out to be rather difficult. I am posting my draw along with Glenn from cylindrical forms.

AlexAlex
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

youve made the same mistake as Glenn did, youve put the right foot on the left leg. nice drawing though 🙂

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Ha, ha you are right, good catch! The funny thing is Glenn was speaking in the same lecture about related experience he had in the past:

“Recently, I critiqued a drawing by a pretty competent artist. He was copying another drawing, somebody
    else, and he had the right foot on the left foot. He had them backwards. That happens
    to the best of us.”

That is ok though, I just wish I am wrong as often as Glenn is 🙂

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 23

Worked on cylindrical forms, timed poses. Slowly learning to recognize and place key anatomical landmarks.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.