Deb’s 100 Days of Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Deb’s 100 Days of Figure Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Lecture day, very interesting box concept. I have seen this before but never understood its usefulness. Interesting to know that Durer used it! I may have to get out shoe boxes to draw!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yes, great course! Love how energetic and full of life every one of Vilppu’s marks are. Watching him draw you can get a glimpse of his massive knowledge and mastery. We don’t copy!! These are some great notes. I really want to revisit this course soon, much to learn. And Debra I can really see the progress, good stuff.

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Appreciate your comments Mattias, these courses are definitely worth going back to again and again.

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Just in the wee beginning of comprehending boxes in space and how they might move. I don’t get limbs at all yet, in box form or otherwise. 

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

#16 and 17

Trying to understand boxes. I am having a hard time visualizing the limbs. I’m starting to understand head torso and pelvis.

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

I think I’m beginning to see box-like forms in the figure and elsewhere. As  I watch Glenn draw boxes on top of his already well-done gesture and sphere- forms, I can’t help but wonder why he would want to “ruin” his nice drawing? I realize the boxes help see the planes, but I wonder why he wouldn’t do gesture, then a light box shape, followed by the spheres.

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Drawing from the timed session, following the process, gesture, spheres ( I do tend to forget to draw through) and boxes. These figures were particularly difficult to see the box forms, the model is in fact quite round. I got a bit heavy handed, probably to cover up my numerous mistakes!

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

#20   5 min poses

I still don’t understand limbs. I need to do these over very slowly. 5 min is very fast for me. I will watch Glenn’s take on this assignment. I purposely did not watch it before doing my own, I need to start seeing on my own. 

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Debra.

What is it about the limbs you don’t understand specifically? From this recent post of yours, the limbs (as form studies in this case) don’t necessarily need to be connected to the torso itself. I know Luca Cambiaso does it but Glenn has them float if need be. The light/shadow separation is always helpful in showing how a form is. Observe your reference again. Then go back to these drawings. Also, don’t time yourself. If you wanna take time on a small study, just go for it and absorb it slowly.

All the best.

jacqueline delaneau
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Debra,

I think all these drawings look great and seeing your progress is totally inspiring me! I learned how to draw sight size and actually can’t stand it. I have always wanted to learn this type of construction. I just might try it because of you. Thanks, and looking forward to seeing more!

Warm wishes,

Jacci

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Marcelino for your suggestions. I think it’s the joints and how they fit together I have trouble seeing. For the moment I will imagine them as cylinders, either coming forward or receding. I like your idea of not limiting the time ( too much) cheers!

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Jacci, I too have done sight-size and find it actually reassuring because it takes So  long! But actually limiting because you always have to have a model. I learned to draw using the contour, continuous line method which is very free, but inaccurate. I want to learn the constructive method because I want to be able to draw from imagination and above all, memory!

Thanks for your comments!

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

#21 I did yesterday’s boxes over again, going slower, trying to understand, I am feeling ever so slightly more confident. At any rate,  the task and process ( which is reassuring for me) is less daunting.

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

I’ve finished the boxes section of Vilppu’s course. So far I’ve spent a week in each section, gesture, spheres and boxes. I’m glad he says at the end of boxes, ” it’s just a tool, don’t get stuck in boxes” This is something I was getting uptight about, not seeing the boxes clearly. Onward!!

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Debra,

I think you have done a great job with the boxes because in my opinion you can clearly see an improvement and growth comparing your box figures earlier this week to your recent ones. Especially the limbs got better as there aren’t as thin anymore as some of the earlier ones.

I can’t wait to see the point there you are supposed to combine all these techniques I’m curious to see your results then, keep going 👍👋

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.