Deb’s 100 Days of Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Deb’s 100 Days of Figure Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

I want to develop a daily drawing habit because it will enable me to progress and feel more confident in my art in general. My plan is to follow  Glen Vilppu’s course and Steve Huston.

I’ve chosen figure drawing because I  have basically concentrated on landscape, and I think it will help me in landscape painting! Who knows where this might lead? Maybe I’ll begin doing figures in landscape??!

Looking forward to joining this group and seeing all your work.

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 1 Just following along with Vilppu in his Figure Drawing Part1 Gesture. Trying to get the “feel” of the story, action.

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 2 Gesture , 10 seconds, 2 minutes

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 3 Glen suggests doing these gesture drawings over and over. I’m going to attempt these for 1 week.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Debra. These look good! I find quick gesture drawing quite stressful so I’ll stand on the sidelines and cheer! I can see that for the most part, there are good volumes and a nice gestural flow in your drawings. I’m sure that your landscape painting experience is helpful in what you’re doing here. I hope you are enjoying the lessons so far 🙂.

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Deborah, thanks for your comments! I find that doing drawings over and over like scales as it were,  can be tedious. That’s why I’m trying to track my progress  I see that you are already on your second 100 day challenge, that’s fantastic and I know you must be proud!

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 4 trying new materials. Watercolor.

Drawing along with Glen, trying to find my rhythm.

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 5

More gesture, watercolor and ink. Following Glenn Vilppu

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

Great job! Love the effect you got with ink and watercolor. Can’t wait to see more

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you Jaylene! I am beginning to be aware (and a little scared)of what I’ve taken on in choosing to do this challenge. But seeing your work and others, I can see everyone improving, so I know it’s not a waste of time!

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 6

I am feeling a little more nimble with my fingers. It takes a few minutes to warm up, I’m always scared to begin. But once the process gets going, I forget about everything and feel a lot more relaxed. I hope one day to be able to draw from memory, I think it would feel very freeing. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These look great Deb! Glenn’s style seems to really suit you. Yes it’s my second challenge. It’s helping me to keep disciplined with my practice. I’ve settled into a good routine now, so it’s well worth the effort. Keep up the good work 🙂!

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Deborah for your kind words, indeed it’s the discipline and process (I need to remind myself constantly) that will bring the results.

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 7

Quite disappointed today, I tried the daily timed drawing session, entirely on my own, just doing the 1 and 2 minute poses. I immediately get caught up in detail, still. My marks are tentative, scratchy and not in the right places. I spent a week in part 1, gesture with Vilppu. I don’t know whether to advance to the next chapter, spherical forms or not.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Debra,

I agree and like your Idea of learning a new subject, in this case figures, to enhance your landscapes.

But I wouldn’t just look for ways of how to use the new techniques and principles for landscape but also do the opposite and try to find abstract ways to use the knowledge you already have about landscapes for your figures, if you don’t already do that.

I think you are doing a great job so far. I also do really like your ink and watercolor figures.

Besides that I really can relate to the frustration of trying something without looking at the instructions but I think it’s important and also totally normal that it doesn’t look as good as your “guided” figures. I would try to see it as a opportunity to compare both and to figure out why they don’t look as good anymore.

I think continuing with the next chapter could expose you to new solutions for current problems.

Keep going, I’m curious to see how your work will change and improve 👋

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.