Deb’s 100 Days of Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Deb’s 100 Days of Figure Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Debra,

I really like what you did with ink and watercolor! keep it up!

I am looking forward to seeing your progress 🙂

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks so much for the ideas and encouragement @christopherbunger , I will think about the abstraction of forms, this is what I’m trying to do with figures, I like the conceptual process of Vilppu and Huston. I started out in art, many years ago with the contour drawing method, it’s always been a challenge to draw “through” the form as Glenn stresses.

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks for your comments! @simondi-scala

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 8

So I decided to move on to the next lesson in Vilppu’s figure drawing, spherical forms. This is great fun drawing all those circles! I got a new (another!!) sketchbook A3 size so I can draw larger while doing the lessons. Also, I have taken an idea to draw in the sketchbook while writing course notes from @deborahharback thanks!

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 9 continuing with the Vilppu’s lessons. 

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Debra these look great! I can relate to your struggles and self doubts. I believe, as long as you don’t stop, you have nowhere else to go but forward and get better. Keep it up!

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Gordon for your encouragement!

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 10 Just plugging away. I didn’t have a lot of steam today but I want to keep the momentum, not miss a day 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Debra. I love your sketchbook pages 🙂! They’re so informative and interesting! I think there’s a freedom to this way of learning too, that you’re just making notes, therefore the pressure to produce a polished artwork isn’t there. I’ll reiterate – I sense Glenn’s approach really suits you and I can see how much y0u’re learning. I think it’s good that y0u’ve gone on to the next lesson. You can always cycle back through, but it seems to be important to keep moving, then one thing informs another as you learn different things. Keep up the good work!

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Deborah, thanks very much for your positive comments, I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts. It’s so very useful to have others’ input!

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 11. I did a few minutes of the Daily Drawing session before I left this morning at 6am. I knew I wouldn’t have the energy when I came home tonight.

1 and 2 mn poses

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 12 focusing on spheres, so difficult  to concentrate on process only, not results. This is what Glenn suggests. 

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by DebraDebra.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by DebraDebra.
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Debra,

Your new pages and your notes look really good.

One thing I found useful to focus on process instead of the result is to still care for the result but in a more focused way.

So if you done your gestures and figures and are looking at them then finished, try to not judge them as a whole but much rather just compare how well you did with what you wanted to focus on. In your case you follow Glenn Vilppu’s lectures and in the moment it’s about applying circular shapes to your figures, so simply just try to focus/analyze that while “judging” your end result.

Sorry if my english might be confusing, I hope that makes kind of sense and I hope that it helps in some way 👋

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Christopher, thanks for your comments, yes, I agree that we should have a goal, then if we stuck to the goal, no matter the results, it is a success. Your english is great!

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Day 13 Daily timed session. Focusing on spheres. I’ve tried varying my speed, slower and faster. I find that if I really focus on gesture first, going even a little”wild” with my marks, trying to feel the figure with my pencil, I get better results than when I try to go slower and be careful.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.