Christopher’s 100 Day Challenge: All about process, shape and value

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Christopher’s 100 Day Challenge: All about process, shape and value

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Mattias and at this point it’s kind of exciting since I have no clue which one of those approaches will resonate with me the most and how they will influence my gestures/figures. 👋

Day 60

Today was no theoretical lecture just following along with Glenn’s demonstration and doing his assignment. So alot of drawing 😁

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

These gestures look really good Christopher!

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Gordan! Some of them I like, some of them I don’t. But I’ll keep following along aswell as keep experimenting with the principles and see where it takes me.

Day 61 & 62

Overall I’m pretty happy with how that week went but unfortunately my hand (this time my thumb) started hurting again yesterday, so I sadly can’t continue with the quantity of the last days and have to slow down a bit for the next days 😭

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Christopher.
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 63

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 64

My hand isn’t fully recovered yet so that I still can’t draw as much as I would like to.

I started to add some new colors so that I can switch things up if I feel like it. Additionally I made sure to have a light and a dark color so that I can draw the gesture with a lighter color in order to get things less messy. Glenn Vilppu suggested that in one of his lectures.

If it’s about the spherical forms I’m having a hard time figuring out how to do the arms and legs especially the elbow and knee areas. Besides that I’m quite enjoying this stage even if I find it visually ugly sometimes since it’s pretty symmetrical and therefore got the feared snowman effect especially in the mentioned arms and legs.

I assume I’m having problems with that because of a lack of anatomy knowledge since without out that it can be hard to know which areas or muscles to group together as spherical forms.

But overall I’m having a great time and I hope that my brain starts to get some connections and a better understanding soon while continuing to progress through those courses.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 65 & 66

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 67

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 68

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 69

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 70

Because I’m still having trouble with how to break down the figure into spherical forms, I used that as a reason to do my first ever master studies. I still don’t really have a clue about spherical forms neither do I know how to study from the old masters but at least I got things started.

For the studies I basically did what the NMA teachers do in their analysis of the old masters, therefore I didn’t copy but I tried to break the drawings (in this case Rubens and Raphael) down while focusing on seeing spherical forms in their work.

The last page was the assignment for the box forms chapter.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 71 & 72

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Learning from different teachers might have it’s benefits but it’s definitely not easy if your brain constantly jumps around between different approaches and priorities. It’s fine while following along but quite challenging while practicing on my own.

There are some gestures that I really like but now I have to figure out why and how to replicate that constantly aswell as figuring out different solutions for different poses. For example I have a much harder time with male models since it’s much easier for me to get those watery flowing lines on females. I also tend to have a much easier time with back views where I can emphasize the spine and the cross contour ellipses for showing the leaning of the torso and pelvis are oriented against each other instead of away from each other. Lastly I got a hard time with legs especially in front and back views, my “B” mostly turns out pretty ugly 😅

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 73

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

looking great Christopher! love to see so many, really solid feeling stuff! the cross contours really hugging like a rubber band wrapping around the form, really awesome boxes and corners for the pelvis. 🙌 like you said I can definitely feel some great gesture/rhythm/movement in some of these. every day on this page has some really awesome gestures, boxes, form, or all! keep up the great work! sorry to hear about your hand, that’s gotta be a rough injury trying to draw.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Mattias I know it’s really far from what Glenn and Steve do (not that I would expect that) as you can see on my follow alongs which are for the most part bad versions of their demonstrations with the proportions being way off but if I look at the figures I started with a few weeks back I, at least in my opinion, see a little improvement and alot of changes in how they are done and looking which shows the influence of the lectures. So just comparing me to me I’m happy with how it’s going 👋

Day 74

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.