Christopher’s 100 Day Challenge: All about process, shape and value

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Christopher’s 100 Day Challenge: All about process, shape and value

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Well said Christopher, and these are looking great!! It’s so cool to see how your attention to detail and accuracy Is coming through with these drawings. Love the fire illustration! I’ve been trying to work on spirit of the pose too, Karl is just such an outstanding teacher. The way he teaches shape/volume and the different stages, and how they overlap, wish I could talk about it more!! He teaches these concepts so clearly and practically. So excited to keep going through this awesome course! I’m still in formulation right now, but I think this section is super vital. I really want to try and take good notes like your doing, sink it in the brain!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by theokatzman45.
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Mattias,

I just finished the intro part yesterday and started with the gesture lectures today. Following along is difficult without the knowledge but I definitely have to agree that his teaching is crystal clear and he explains his vision on those principles in a way I can relate to.

Day 39, 40, 41 & 42

Not the most productive days in terms of drawing quantity but I went through the whole first chapter of Karl Gnass spirit of the pose course. Most of what you see are follow alongs of his demonstrations since part 1 did not include any assignment. I also filled a few pages of my notebook.

Bottom right figures are from today. I watched the first video of part 2 centered around gesture but since I don’t expect to arrive at the assignment in the next days I tried my own versions with focusing on what he explained, in this case I specifically tried to emphasize the line of action.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

This is lots of drawings for a day Christopher! They also all look good, you seem to like the subject and absorbing the matter well. Keep up good work!

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Gordan but these are from 4 days. If I don’t post doesn’t mean I took a break. Since day 1 of challenge 1 I haven’t missed a day yet, I just don’t post it every day 😅

And yes I like figure drawing 😁

Day 43

It’s interesting if I don’t follow along how different all these pages look. Like if four different people drew them 😅

I can’t wait for the assignment aswell as to watch some demonstrations to follow along again. Also I’m curious how my gestures will change while progressing through the course.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Christopher.
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 44

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 45

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.forum.nma.art/890469/ypz1ubwxxc7ajpswb0r7whksldr01ltz.jpg

Karl Gnass always goes a little bit beyond the gesture stage in his demonstration. So trying to follow along / emulate what he is doing without his anatomical knowledge is pretty hard in terms of making it almost impossible to reach his results without knowing why he does certain things.

But it definitely helps clarifying what he ment talking about how these three stages are a process of self learning and how gaining knowledge in one stage influences the other stages.

Trying to “copy” his attempts teached me how I need to focus much more on reduction and simplification, since I don’t have the knowledge yet. So as soon as I arrive at the assignment I’ll try to focus on the most basic ideas he tried to teach.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 46

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.forum.nma.art/891673/101lbro19eg3agpznlmcghpl59b4yz0n.jpg

For the assignment video I tried to make the gestures as simple as possible.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 47

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 48, 49 & 50

5 pages on Sunday, 2 yesterday and 3 today.

Continued with Karl Gnass course aswell as more practise in trying to use his teached principles.

First tried again to stay as simple as possible but ended up a bit more solidified, even though I’m pretty dependent on cylinders but I think for the moment that’s ok and I’m actually quite happy about how my gestures look right now.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 51, 52 & 53

Started to include some timed gesture drawing and continued with Karl Gnass lessons.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 53

More from today (day 53). Some additional follow alongs from Karl Gnass demonstrations.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 54 & 55

Similar to the perspective notebook Erik Olson want’s you to do in his course, I tried to summarize the gained knowledge from Karl Gnass and Steve Huston’s courses in my own words. For the figures I tried to focus on the gesture stage while following those principles. I experimented alot with what of those components is the main focus, since I still try to find a general process to follow that I find easy enough but also aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 56, 57 & 58

Watched Steve Huston’s constructive figure drawing course on the side while working on Karl Gnass course and finally arrived at the assignment aswell as the “parts of the body” chapter.

Most of what you see are follow alongs of demonstrations from Karl Gnass and Steve Huston.

In the moment I’m quite enjoying my drawing/studying time and I’m totally excited about Steve Huston’s anatomy course even if I’m going to wait a bit before I start that course, since I just started his gesture course.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Christopher.
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 59

Started to look into Glenn Vilppu’s Gesture course aswell. The lecture video was quite long and following along on his master analysis while he was drawing at his normal speed seemed to be impossible for me 😅 So mainly alot of quotes and notes in my notebook aswell as following along with his first demonstration video.

It’s quite amazing how all these different teachers are basically using the same principles with the difference being how everyone of them prioritizes them differently.

It reminds me a bit of cooking, like if two cultures are using the same ingredients but how one of them is much more leaning into things like onions while the other culture emphasizes potatoes. I don’t know if that’s articulated well enough to make sense but it’s just fascinating how both create completely different experiences while in their core still being the same (cooking) and utilizing the same tools and opportunities (ingredients).

I mean I wouldn’t have thought that Glenn’s approach would be so different from Steve’s. Steve Huston try’s to reduce the figures complexity while Glenn Vilppu doesn’t even think’s about simplifying, since his goal is completely different in terms of leaning much more on the intention of how to lead the eye and how to compose his vision of the seen. Where they both agree in importance is the overall connection and relationship of the part’s to each other.

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I totally agree with the point you made Christoper how everyone teaches the same principles, just from a new angle! Love learning from several different instructors, Fantastic 👌This stuff looks awesome, I love the clear simplicity of the figures! Looking clean. Top left on day 56 is my favorite, super solid!!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by theokatzman45.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.