AJ’s 100 Day Challenge: Charcoal Figure drawings

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge AJ’s 100 Day Challenge: Charcoal Figure drawings

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I also bought a hand mirror that I have been using after most steps on the last piece and has that helped so much!  Seeing shapes and shades that are clearly off by a mile instantly is beyond helpful.

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

day 10

Day 10:  Decided to do figure master studies instead of figure model studies for a bit.  (Judith Beheading Holofernes – Caravaggio 1598)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by AJAJ.
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Aj 👋,

I don’t know if it is because it’s a copie but I think your shading got better. Seems to be a great idea to studie those masters and see how they have done it.

I can’t wait to see how that will influence your work 👍

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Christopher!  I’ve been trying to push the contrast after all of my other figures seemed so flat.  What better way to learn pushing value than to copy Caravaggio

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Caravaggio is awesome. I saw some of his paintings in person in Rome about 10 years ago. He is a great artist to try to copy for a number of reasons. Besides light/darkness, I also love the facial expressions of his figures, the body language/gestures, the costumes, and the unusual and dramatic positioning of his figures.

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 11

Day 11: Peter Paul Rubens – Study for The Figure of Christ on the Cross

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Nice studies AJ! You’re picking good artists to study!

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Paul!  I have a nice collection of books that are all in need of some copying!

Day 12

Day 12 :  Peter Paul Rubens – Study for the Figure of Christ on the Cross  ( DAY 2 )   Decided to give this another go around and might just spend 2-3 hours (days) per study instead of the 1 hr drawings I originally planned.  I cant get enough info on the page in one hour but maybe after I can with the 2-3 I can speed it up and simplify

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This one is far better. Good job separating the frontal and side plane of the figure.

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Bryan.  I was so focused on just bieng quick and getting the idea and sizing right that I wanted to see what it looked like done.  Picked up some nice ideas pushing it a bit so glad I did go back to it

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 13

Jacopo Pontormo Studies Part 1

I’m going to give this another round tomorrow and the focus is on the external oblique and gesture of muscles as they flow along the body.

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 14

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 14 2

Day 14:  Today I went through and tried the timed gesture section of the first lesson on the renaissance course, then I watched Glenn Vilppu do the same section and redid them again.

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 14:  Glenn Vilppu figure practice

So I went through and did the time gesture at the end of Lesson 1 of the Renaissance course by Glenn Vilppu then after doing it watch him do the practice and loosened up a bit and did them again.  There are 4 ten second poses and the rest are two minutes.

BeforeAFTERDay 14

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 14:

Today I went through a timed gesture section from the Renaissance course and after watched Glenn Vilppu do the same gesture session and redid them.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.