AJ’s 100 Day Challenge: Charcoal Figure drawings

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge AJ’s 100 Day Challenge: Charcoal Figure drawings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi!  My name is AJ , I’ve just now stumbled onto this 100 day challenge section and love the idea!  I kind of wish I found it right after the Covid lock down, but now is good also.  I have been self teaching myself for the last couple years very slowly and know that the only way to improve is by doing.. and doing.. and doing; so this is perfect.   I’ve just dedicated a room in my house to self improvement and art so let me begin!  I like charcoal for its forgiveness and expressive look so I would like to do 100 days of figure drawing in charcoal.  Hopefully in 1hr -2hr a day I can improve in observation, comfort, and portraying emotion.   Thanks for reading! 🙂 🙂

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

6-8

1 hr – I got to the end and realized I skipped hands and feet completely.  Definitely subconsciously because I’m no bueno at those right now.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by AJAJ.
    AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

June8

This one took 1hr 20min.  I realized after the torso is a bit shorter than it should have been.  I’ll try not to go over my drawings so messily so I can get some better light areas as well!  Tips welcomed 😀

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Number3

I’ve decided to try and keep these to exactly an one hour so I can get an idea of what I need to focus on and how long it should take exactly.  I feel like I’m going too fast but I still enjoy the end result.  I’d like to get the proportions more perfect but I’ll get there in time.

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4

Day 4.  This went a bit longer than 1hr

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Aj,

what I really like about your drawings is that you are really diving into it and are putting in a lot of effort.

My suggestion would be -particularly because of your mentioned goals of improving your observational skills and portraying of emoitions- to throw in some quick gesture studys. If you are not doing these already they are really good to loosen up and to get a sense for movement. Likewise they are a good tool to get some mileage and therefore getting a intuitive feel for proportions.

Keep it up!

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you for the suggestion Christopher!

I definitely will throw in a few gesture studies before each of these.  I’ve been going into these dry without warm up and doing a few quick gestures before hand cant hurt!

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 6

Day 6.  Another that went over an hr.  I was trying out a different method and was having to revise a lot.  The hands turned optical illusion-y when I had to move the body higher and left the hands as is.  Im going to do some hand and feet studies because I still make them way too small and vague

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7

Day 7:  Proportions are more right.  I’m going to leave faces blank to focus all time on figure, form, and gestures

Can putting simple dark lines on areas being hit by light make the image pop out more or do I need to tone in a background every time?

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 8

Day 8:  I changed the arm positions so it wouldn’t go off the page and added the apple

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello AJ, good work so far. On this one, I think it would be better for the arm to just go off the page. Either that, or really figure out how the arm is moving with the rest of the figure. It seems a little forced and disconnected in this position. Your arm that is closer to the viewer looks much better.

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

You’re definitely right Bryan on it looking forced.  Its a bit thinner than it should be but since it wasn’t off reference I didn’t see how off it was till the today.  I’ll try to get my figures to fit the page before I get to far along.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I struggled with keeping my figures on the page too. Recently, I started putting a centerline on the page the size of my figure before I start drawing. That seems to really help 🙂.

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 9

Day 9:  Tried white charcoal for first time at the end.  Clearly you don’t put it onto dark charcoal lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.