Vera’s 2nd 100 Day Challenge: Line, Shape, Value, Form

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Vera’s 2nd 100 Day Challenge: Line, Shape, Value, Form

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the feedback, Taylor!

Day 39. Will it come together before tomorrow’s April submission deadline? There is a silver metal coffee filter in the front. I took a pass at it, but the color was all wrong, so I scrubbed it out. I really think I need to tackle it next …

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 40 Done and submitted. This was definitely “above my pay grade”.  What went well: using Gamblin oil medium instead of plain Gamsol – paint stays wet longer, and makes it easier to correct strokes. Gaining some experience with painting wet on wet – when to scrape off, when to paint over, how to paint over. Mixed enough background color to allow me to touch up as needed. Happy with the values, both at the composition level as well as my ability to match the goal in color. What I need to work on: constructing forms in perspective (it’s easier to correct in graphite or charcoal). Mixing colors in terms of hue – I couldn’t quite hit the colors I was seeing, and I’m not sure I could mix the same color in subsequent efforts. Unfortunate tangents – I’d tried my best to avoid these in the actual composition, but they crept back in during implementation. I should note potential collisions going forward, and keep an eye out for it during painting.

The silver coffee filter gave me hell in all aspects – form, color, value. Oh well, I aimed high.

I plan to paint smaller studies going forward – one or two objects, limited palette, picking a particular area of study.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 41 Sktchy Portrait in Ballpoint. Very splotchy pen on very non-absorbent, smooth paper – lots of unintended smears and blobs. But freeing, as well.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 42 Some “Expanse” fan art

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 43 Started the Todorovich portrait painting class. Practiced value scales in oil, plus some experimentations in paint handling. I seem to be able to see and achieve a finer gradation on the dark side compared to the light side.

Although I’ve come to “hate” (at least avoid) watercolors because of their unpredictability, I’ve come to appreciate moments of guided randomness when it comes to oil – the white paper shining through a transparent layer, or two colors mixing in streaky fashion under a brush or palette knife

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 44 Portrait Draw-Along. Yeah, it’s flawed …

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 45 Doing 30 minute value block ins. Time flies.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 46 More portrait value block-ins. Stuck to pretty much 30 minutes with the first one. It turned out a bit dark. Grew frustrated with losing features after applying value masses, so I got a bit “fiddle-y” with the second one, but I’m not sure it’s much better. Paid too much attention to the dark side. I’m not doing too well with staying focused on the next most important feature!

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.