Vera’s 2nd 100 Day Challenge: Line, Shape, Value, Form

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Vera’s 2nd 100 Day Challenge: Line, Shape, Value, Form

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 27 Drawing lesson with local teacher Robin Cole. Continuing work on still life – building up values with compressed charcoal and willow charcoal. Still in progress

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 28 Did one of the goofy Sktchy portraits. Used hatching this time instead of full surface shading. I missed some opportunities to model the eyes more constructively, and the corner of the left lip droops too much. Got some ideas for better hatching in the future

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 29 Sktchy portrait of a toddler in ballpoint pen, with minimal under drawing in pencil. Given that this is the first time I’ve done a portrait in pen, and given that is the first time I’ve drawn a portrait of a child, I’m actually pleased with it, despite its flaws

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 30 Frustrating day. I’ve sat out on Friday figure drawing for two weeks until today. Somehow I thought the general drawing practices would translate, but today felt like never held a pen before. Then, did some quick value and color sketches for the April still life challenge, but it doesn’t feel right yet.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 31 Studies for this month’s still life challenge. Exploring composition and capturing details of the lily that’s bound to change before I finish the oil painting

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 32 Value study for still life challenge. I like that the simple study already hints at surface characteristics. It’s not the most arresting of compositions, but it’s not utterly awful either – I think I’ll add empty space to the left of the objects. I’ll attempt this as my first real oil painting, and it will be challenge enough.
    Reminder to self: use every opportunity to draw shapes as well as you can, even if shape is not the focus.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 32 Cont. Line under drawing for still life. Don’t feel confident enough to lay it in directly with oil paint

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 33 I sprayed my under drawing with fixative, but most the lines disappeared when I applied the under drawing. Debated which painting method to use – Alla Prima or layered, and I hope a hybrid approach will work (use a fairly dry under painting and then complete most of the picture in one go). It’s been an immersive learning experience already

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 33 Cont. Painted in the background and corrected some shapes in the process. I was so worried about painting the copper pot, but it already looks like copper, just with the under painting and a few darks. The background is pretty opaque and lifeless, but that may work to my advantage – we’ll see. Learning as I go, about brush and paint behavior. A little “scared” to tackle all the items that matter – but hey, worst case scenario I’ll do a new painting and use what I’ve learned

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 34 Started to put in the flower and the porcelain cup. Feeling less confident about this endeavor. Toyed with the idea of scrapping it and starting over with some “better” idea, but I think there’s still a lot of learning to be gained from this piece. I should reserve judgement until it’s done

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 35 Current state of painting. Flawed, for sure – the shapes of the vessels got away from me and the shadows are probably not consistent. Although I have a bit of light blocking set up around my still life, the time of day and weather outside has had a huge impact on the subject – in addition to the organic components shriveling up and changing color. It’s been a fun project, but I’m ready to put this piece behind me and try out something new

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 35 – posting for yesterday. Went to an Urban Sketch meetup. The experience was nice, but the output was pretty bad. Did a couple attempts at drawing a Victorian house, but the proportions and details kept tripping me up. In hind sight, I should’ve sketched in the major vanishing lines and been more focused on big shapes before tackling details.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 37 (messed up the count on the previous post). Continued the charcoal drawing with my local art teacher. Almost done – one more session.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 38 New still life in oil. Spent literally days trying to arrive at a composition I felt good about – I should’ve just painted something “ok” jinstead. Painted the block in straight in oil this time around – no pencil sketch or transfer underneath. Trying a different medium. I think I have enough background color mixed this time around to adjust the shapes as needed

Taylor Brewerton
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The Day 37 still life is coming together really nicely! The strong contrast really makes the central pot read as reflective metal, and I like the gentle linework implying pages on the notebook beneath — just enough to make it clear what it is.  The ribbon on the pot is providing you with an opportunity, though, to explore a higher keyed image; it sort of blends in with everything else, and I wonder if brightening its local value in certain areas may help create visual interest. Very brave of you to finally try oil paint. I did after avoiding it for years and the results were rough at first, to say the least. I agree with your statement that you should keep moving forward rather than fixating on a single piece.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.