The Artist’s Sketchbook: Watercolor & Pen | Part 1

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion The Artist’s Sketchbook: Watercolor & Pen | Part 1

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mark Watson
    Participant
    No points.

Did anyone have success with buying a certain scrapbook for use with gouache and watercolor? I was hoping to buy one that can handle the wet medium.

I wish NMA had the staff to clarify materials questions like this.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Mark, we hear you. I think you basically want a watercolor sketchbook. These have thicker pages and can be a little more expensive. I know Chris Legaspi has used the regular gray Strathmore sketchbook for gauche, but the pages tend to buckle. He also used Moleskine Watercolor sketchbook that has thicker pages. Again this is a little more expensive, but your pages will stay flat and wont bleed. I believe Steve had his sketchbooks custom made by Strathmore years ago.
    So two things I would recommend:
    Do a google search for water color sketchbook, or watercolor toned sketchbook and look for whatever is in your budget
    You can also hop on our discord server and chat with us there. We are about to hit 2k members, so come join the party! We have a few students that work in watercolor on there too.

I hope this helps answer your question. 😀

Mark Watson
    Participant
    No points.

Yes, thank you so much, Daniel! I’m going to check out those options. Steve mentioned scrapbook paper, but when I went to look at it there are so many different choices and I didn’t want to buy something that wouldn’t work with the water media.

Just signed up for Discord–looks like a good bit of activity there!

Pierce WebbPierce Webb
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey what is the discord link. Thanks

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.
    Andy Gardner
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’ve had a go at this with card I bought in “The Range”(UK shop). It cost about 5 pounds for 50 sheets at 280gsm, works great.
    It’s darker and warmer than the oatmeal card in the course. I’ve punched it with 2 holes for an A4 ring binder.
    I might try a smaller size. There’s punches for personal organisers, like the old filofaxes.
    If I get hooked I might go for a binding punch. They do a row of holes like a sketchbook and are held with a plastic comb.
    card for Steve Hustons sketchbook course

card for Steve Hustons sketchbook course

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.