The Artist’s Sketchbook: Watercolor & Pen | Part 1

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion The Artist’s Sketchbook: Watercolor & Pen | Part 1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

For years, master artist Steve Huston has been asked how he creates his beautiful sketchbooks. In this series, he will teach you how to blend two very distinct processes into one great way to do studies – or for that matter – finishes.

Covering landscape, still-life, and figure, Steve shows you why watercolor is such a great tool for planning out a tonal or color composition, why it’s ideal for creating what he refers to as “happy accidents,” and how it can help you make that difficult transition from competent draftsman to first class painter.

Additionally, Steve will put in time using pen and ink, and brush and ink, exploring ideas for planning future paint strokes, seeing how it will help develop your eye for the precise way to track and/or reinvent form on paper or canvas and see how you can sneak a little color and flare into these time-honored tools.

Practice with Steve as he lectures and demonstrates how to begin and finish both quick sketches and more complete renderings.

This series is based on a live-streamed workshop hosted by Art Mentors in late 2017.

andresclements
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Very quick and rough, hopefully not too crude. Definitely, want to get hold of a fountain pen, that looks fun and so dynamic.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by andresclements. Reason: image stretched
    ClintHathcock
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Looks great Andres. I like the vase. How do you add an image on here from your iPad, phone, or computer? I don’t have a “link” to one.

andresclements
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

LOL, thanks. It’s horrid, but that’s part of the process I think 🙂

On my screen there is an insert=image button on the far right-hand side of the menu bar directly above the editing screen, I’ll post a screen-grab:

that should allow you to browse for and upload an image.

andresclements
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

andresclements
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

ElizabethCarey
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

What kind of brown ink is Steve using in his fountain pen??

ManuelFernandez
    Participant
    No points.

@elizabethcarey it’s normally sepia ink.

ManuelFernandez
    Participant
    No points.

Would anyone happen to catch the name of the actual sketchbook he is using for the demos?

ClintHathcock
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Andres!!!   Manuel I think he has another video where he names the sketchbook but I don’t think they sell them anymore.

ClintHathcock
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Pirate paraphernalia 

cleverdevil76
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@ManuelFernandez he said that they don’t sell them any more, but suggests using scrapbook pages, which is the same thickness of paper, and taking it to a kinkos of office depot type place to have it bound.

PatriciaPatricia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I would love to know what type of white pencil Steve is using here. It seems to be a watercolor white pencil? I can’t find a specific materials list

Alexis Dupuis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Patricia It may be a Conte white pencil or a pastel pencil.

Thank to Steve, this series let me to really enjoy drawing and to grasp what filling a sketchbook is about.

Barbara Plant
    Participant
    No points.

Steve mentions a materials list but I cannot find it.  Where should I look?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.