Still Life, oil on paper – Critique Appreciated

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Still Life, oil on paper – Critique Appreciated

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alon MartsianoAlon Martsiano
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello NMA,

Thank you so much for this opportunity to learn from amazing teachers and artists.

This is my second submission here, it is a still life painted in one sitting (alla prima), approx 6 hours including a charcoal sketch, underpainting using raw umber and gamsol and the final layer of oil paint with no medium.

Would love to hear your thoughts about this.

Thanks again!

Alon Martsiano

André Girão TaufferAndré Girão Tauffer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow! Amazing reflections and glass! If I may, I would suggest popping up a bit more the foreground, maybe by darkening the background a little bit, and giving some highlights, mainly in the pear.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Andre! I agree the foreground does need to “pop out” more than it does now.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great work here! The camera distortion is rather strong. I would suggest figuring out your vanishing points and then extending them further off of the page to give a more natural and less photographic look.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Joshua, it’s a great honour!

I’ve tried to see what you mean looking at the reference photo of the still life that I submitted,  and I’ve noticed that I put the wrong one here, its at a slightly different angle.

So I am adding a photo of the still life from the right angle here. Does it make more sense? or do you still think the perspective is off?

PetrStranik
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi there!! I think that a main thing is that I don’t know what’s the focal point. Is it a glass with water or that pear? I admire your bravery to go for such a subtle light – soft light. I think you would do yourself better to use strong directional source of light to achieve more distinct chiaroscuro to render. Also a lot of white objects (cloth and wall) do not make things easier and lend themself for mudding up the colours.

Down below is from three years back. Try same objects but under a warm light with direction to have the job easier.

https://petrstranikart.blogspot.com/2017/04/still-life-petes-essentials.html

Petr

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Petr

That’s a beautiful example with the can of olive oil and vegetables. Even the label of the olive oil looks great, that’s awsome!

I will try to use a stronger, more distinct light for my next one.

In the meantime, take a look at this other one I’ve uploaded here a few days ago:

https://www.nma.art/forums/topic/tomatoes-oil-on-paper-alla-prima-crit-welcome/

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.