Nick’s 100 Day Figure Drawing Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Nick’s 100 Day Figure Drawing Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the feedback! Can see a few places it’d help with this morning’s drawing – i.e. the ribcage & right arm in this one look flat to me. I’ll try it out!

Day 89

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 90

Focusing on cross contours / Z-axis. Right now I’m thinking about:

• I know to use the long axis / degree of ellipses to show the rotation of arms / legs etc – but when I look at the arms / legs, I’m having trouble figuring out the degree from the reference. Looking at the ankle / wrists seems to help a little.
    • Also – thinking about how to show that perspective without a lot of cross contour lines which would get distractin

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 91

Still focusing on cross contours. I wanted to try being more explicit about the wrapping lines today. I think it worked out alright for the legs and arms, where it’s easy to imagine them as tubes in perspective. The value changes and highlights help find the degree of those ellipses.

That didn’t work as well for the torso and the waist though – and for the breast / parts of the body in shadow. I think I’ll try it again tomorrow but just focus on 1 or 2 volumes.

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 92

Will keep working on understanding the form & perspective of the torso & pelvis

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 93

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 94

Still focusing on thinking about the volume of the torso, but trying to use fewer lines. Today the limbs made more sense but the stomach area was in shadow, so I didn’t get as much of an idea of the rib cage – stomach transition as I wanted to

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 95

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 96

Just couldn’t get a handle on the pelvis area on this one – might have to try it again sometime.

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 97

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 98

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Very nice studies here. Here are some tips.

1. Still–proportions! Legs and feet seem to get small. The depth of the foot is generally half the height of the lower leg if stood upright.
    2. Box up your hands and treat them like the rest of the figure even though they are smaller. So each finger is like a boxy limb.
    3. The top of the ribcage if we take away the shoulder girdle is quite small. You’re giving too much mass up there.
    nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua! Appreciate it – I’ve meant to spend some time on hands and feet specifically, just started watching the Hands course yesterday. I’m thinking of focusing on hands after tomorrow to get more practice on form, observing angles, and perspective.

Can’t believe it’s day 99 already! Here’s today’s – focusing on wrapping lines again. This time I tried to cover more of the body – realized I don’t have a good idea of the form where the leg connects at the hip

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 100!

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Congratulations man!  That is a great accomplishment.

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks a lot! I’ve gotten a ton of value even with just more structured practice. Thanks everyone for the feedback over the last few months – I’ll start a new one tomorrow to keep practicing!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.