Jakob’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jakob’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Figure Drawing

Viewing 9 posts - 211 through 219 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

did some simple bean bag exercises where I looked at a figure for a very short time and tried to nail the torso

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Did more of the bean exercise today and drew a bit out of my imagination later.

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Fro yesterday. Will need to work on my proportions a bit more. Whenever I try to focus the actual body of the model it starts getting a bit wonky

Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The bean bag exercises seem interesting, where is it from? Might do some of those..

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Proko. It helps seeing the orientation of the torso and pelvis and capturing it effectively

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Today I successfully finished the “100 DAY ART CHALLENGE”. My goal was to build and improve various skills that come along drawing the human figure.
    Now, I am able to do this new drawing on the right side in the same time I needed for the one on the left side a 100 days ago and definitely improved at some aspects of drawing the human figure.
    After doing daily exercises like the Bean drawings, Gesture, constructing the figure or analysing masters of past centuries I improved my proportions and angles a lot.
    The figures I draw now are much closer to the original reference and it is easier for me to feel how they are placed in 3D space (sometimes I still get lost). Getting to know that Gesture
    is more about the sensational feeling while drawing than just analytical thinking was a big problem to me but Glenn Vilppu’s classes on Gesture are great.
    On top of that Steve Huston’s class on putting structure over the established Gesture really helped me. I still dont know the anatomy of the human body but I am currently
    going through the anatomy class from Rey Bustos and I look forwards finishing it.
    My line quality and economy is still awful and I really struggle switching between mediums because I study perspective drawing with fineliner and ballpoint pens, while I tried drawing the figure with
    a fountain pen and charcoal or polychroma pencils. I will dive deeper into shape exercises and observational drawing because I struggle with that much more than just drawing a figure out of my imagination with basic forms.
    On top of that I noticed that a lot of art subjects are super intertwined – drawing boxes helps drawing the figure – drawing the figure helps drawing animals – drawing from observation helps with still life paintings etc etc etc
    Other future plans are focusing on hands, feet and the human face now because I love to dodge these topics and looking into drapery too.
    I also didnt really think about finding a style or designing the human body yet. Just learning the fundamentals.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by JakobJakob.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by JakobJakob.
    Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Congrats! Nice improvement.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Marjolein P.
Viewing 9 posts - 211 through 219 (of 219 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.