Jakob’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Jakob’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Figure Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi everybody!

I just saw the notification of this 100 day art challenge in my e-mail messenger and decided to participate in it.
    I didnt draw for about 7 years of my teenager time and started to draw again 5 months ago. I am really interested in drawing the human figure but never studied or drew it until now besides doodling as a kid.
    A lot of times I find excuses not to draw and in the end I just waste a lot of time procrastinating.

My challenge is to follow along Steve Huston’s Beginning Figure Drawing classes and do daily line drawings of the human figure or its parts.
    Eventually I will also take a look at the classes from Glenn Villpu or Rey Bustos later, but for now I start simple with one class.

My goal is to build and improve skills that come along studying and drawing the human figure.

Good luck to everybody!

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jakob,

Welcome to the challenge! I’m doing something similar, although so far I’ve been mainly working through Glenn Vilpuu’s lessons. Looking forward to seeing your posts!

Kind regards,

Deborah

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

First tries. Sometimes I tunnel in on one thing like the movement of the spine and lose sight of the whole figure .  On top of that I need to check how much pressure I use when I draw.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by JakobJakob.
    JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I will draw more of my poses on large paper now because uploading multiple practice pictures needs way more time than uploading one/two pages with multiple line drawings on them.

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello Jakob. Nice work so far. I also struggle with pressing down too hard too early on sometimes, especially if the drawing is difficult. One thing that really helped me was switching to using sticks or crayons to draw instead of pencils. When I get a pencil in my hand, I have a tendency to go dark like I would when writing a letter. I also can’t help myself and start rendering way too soon instead of focusing on shapes. When I have a conte crayon or compressed charcoal or graphite stick in my hand, I just draw shapes/forms, and don’t worry about details. As a bonus, I find it much easier to do shading with them because you simply turn them completely on their side. I also don’t damage the paper nearly as much with the crayons or sticks as I would by pressing down with a pencil. The downside is they take more practice to learn to control than pencils. Anyway, every artist has to figure out the materials that work best, and there is no one size fits all in art. Keep up the good work. Bryan.

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I always remember Peter Han saying ” Dont press so hard that the knuckles turn white”

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Everything going pretty good. I made notes from Steve Hustons class and I am able to notice a lot of mistakes I do myself.

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I would like to try drawing with some pastel pencils but I cant access any shop nearby right now and I will just keep working with everything I have.

JakobJakob
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Started good but then I started to rush through it and I f*cked up the head/neck and leg.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

Great forms!  Great effort here!  Neck is fine in the last one and the feet/leg is cool too – looks like that cheesy cartoon animation style :o)

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Jakob, great challenge. I think you’ll grow a lot from this.

I have issued you your 100 Day Challenge Participation Badge.

I also noticed that your avatar seems to be a self portrait. If it is please post a topic in the Self Portrait Challenge forum and I’ll grant you a badge for that as well!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 219 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.