Influences behind Miles Yoshida’s Ink Art, Materials for Inking, and Hatching with Straight Lines

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Influences behind Miles Yoshida’s Ink Art, Materials for Inking, and Hatching with Straight Lines

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Penny ONeil
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi! I’m Penny O’Neil and am retired living in Denver Metro. Now I find myself with the gift of time to pursue and learn drawing principles and creative expression of my thoughts. Love the sketchbook and challenging myself to fill them with all kinds of random thoughts. I love to paint in oil which I do primarily.  But the sketchbook is so accessible, so easy to grab and use. Up to this point I have thought of it as a precursor to a project where I work out problems or partial objects. I like the idea of a visual journal and just enjoying the bits and pieces of my life.  My first love has always been paper with pencil and pen. I love to see work so simply defined by a few lines, unfinished and left almost naked, like I viewed in his sketchbook. I am really excited about this class for pure enjoyment of the process.  BTW, wasn’t that Liberace work phenomenal!

Annia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi everybody, I love drawing and painting and sketch as my hobby. I never had a formal art education. I have always loved graphic novels. I have always loved graphic novels. I have started with the belgium comics and later have been introduced to mangas. My first influencers were Uderzo and Franquin. I also love the art of Enki Bilal, Jean Giraud, Kim Jung Gi, Repin, Renoir, Van Gogh, Sergeant, and many more. I have never tried inking. I am looking forward for the classes and hope to learn a lot from them.

Taylor ReneeTaylor Renee
    Participant
    No points.

Hello everyone! It’s nice to be interacting with other artists since I tend to be very isolated.

I work mostly in acrylic painting, screen printing, and a little bit of intaglio (when I have access to printing spaces). I do have a bachelor’s in art practice (UC Berkeley) but feel like I had to figure out a lot of the technical aspects on my own. I have quite a few artistic interests and influences, but I admire the following artists for their use of ink or linework: Richey Beckett, Franklin Booth, Carson Grubaugh, Nicole Rifkin, Scott Fischer, and Nico Delort. Most of them are living and tend to work in illustration. I do have some general experience with ink from intaglio and drawing classes, but I am really looking forward to a deep dive into the materials.

(A little sketchbook example)

(a random ink sketch)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Taylor ReneeTaylor Renee.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Taylor ReneeTaylor Renee.
    Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Taylor, This is really great! You are welcome to share this on out discord server, where most of the students hangout
    https://discord.com/invite/aMCr8Xykyk

Brian Gilmour
    Participant
    No points.

I have been taking drawing and painting lessons for half a year and am looking forward to learning inking. I have gone through the stress free sketching and stress free human figure courses on this website now.

I started out being primarily interested in impressionist painters, Monet and Manet, but have become more interested lately in dramatic depictions of the human figure. Though I am not interested in sculpting myself, Hellenistic sculpture is particularly influencing to me nowadays as interesting depictions of the figure. Laocoön and His Sons and The Boxer at Rest being two of my favourite Hellenistic sculptures. My short term goal is to finish a short comic story that I have an idea for within a year.

James KellyJames Kelly
    Participant
    No points.

Hey guys. I’m an amateur who’s made several sputtering attempts at learning over the years but I think I’m finally ready to get serious. The 1st round of 2022 live courses hit at just the right time.

I’ve always been envious of artists and illustrators who seem to show deep knowledge and mastery with well-chosen and expressive lines. Line seems to be as much a portrait of the artist’s mind as the subject itself – their ability to understand form, depth, light etc., and I was as envious of their state of mind as the finished product itself. This is true of the old masters as well as newer comic artists and illustrators, like Bengal, Kim Jung Gi, and Katsuhiro Otomo, so I was excited to hear Professor Yoshida name drop some of them. All in all I think I’m in the right place.

DOOM 2016 sketch
    <div class=”notranslate” style=”all: initial;”></div>

Angela Ragaini
    Participant
    No points.

Hello everyone. I am a Stay-at-Home mom who has more and more time on my hands. I have been using drawing off and on as a way to destress. I want to develop these drawing and painting skills into a serious hobby I can pursue into my older years.

Jo SheridanJo Sheridan
    Participant
    No points.

Welcome Angela – there are loads of us on here who are on the same journey – its loads of fun, but can also be intensely frustrating – I’ve been using the site for around 10 months now I think – I arrived looking for a starting place for Oil Painting and then never left…:)

JenniferFoster
    Participant
    No points.

Hi everyone. I am really looking forward to the inking course. I am an oil painter but I have always loved ink drawings, especially the 19th century ink illustrations in books. Cruikshank, EA Abbey, and Thomas Fogarty are some of the ink artists that I love best. So far, most of ink drawings I have done are sketchbook studies—not finished pieces. Most of the time, I use a fountain pen and a brush and do line work with wash. Here is an example from my sketchbook.

Sketchbook page

Hope Mayo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

My name is Hope. I have always been interested in art. My parents enrolled me in classes as a child, and I took basic art/art history electives in college. I have no formal training, but I enjoy printmaking, watercolor and drawing with charcoal/graphite. I find paint/ink intimidating. I figured this class would help me learn some techniques and that would in turn help get over that hurdle. 

Chris Laurin
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi everyone. I took the plunge to learn art a couple of years ago. I’ve mostly been doing pastels and acrylics in painting and pencil and pen in portrait drawing. I joined New Masters a few months ago to get more serious about learning from the ground up instead of a course or demo here or there. I’m loving it. This inking course looks like it’s going to give me some confidence in drawing with ink. I really like Miles Yoshida’s drawing style and the course seems to be digging deep. Looking forward to seeing how far I can get over the next few weeks!

Joakim Rollin
    Participant
    No points.

Hi!

I’m a Chemical Engineer working in the steel industry. But as a hobby I enjoy drawing and painting with water color. Other interests are roleplaying and boardgames. I keep a sketchbook next to the bed in order to practice.

http://www.instagram.com/jrollin_art/

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, I remember falling in love with Durer when I was a child. My parents had a calendar with one of his masterpieces on the top of each month. I don’t know why I loved it so much but it’s something that I’ve never experience since then with any other artist  🙂 I have always had some print of Durer hanging in my house. It makes me feel at home. So you can imagine when I discovered this course and Miles Yoshida’s art, which is so influenced by Durer. Other artists that I like: Anders Zorn, Adolf Menzel, Pontormo, Nicholas Fechin.

I also love ink, in general, although at this moment I find it intimidating for drawing. Years ago I took a course on medieval calligraphy. Before that I studied arabic just because of the calligraphy. I’ve a collection of nib pens. But I don’t know if I will be able to draw with ink!

I didn’t study anything related to art, unfortunately. I went to the University to study Biology and Journalism, and I’ve never been 100% happy with any job related with my academic background. Although I love writing, while I was working as a science writer in a newspaper, I was always visiting the art section and hanging around with the artists, illustrators, etc. It made me so happy seeing them working, sharpening their pencils with their electric sharpeners,… drawing something amazing that was able to travel so directly to your heart, without words. 🙂 And I felt they were different from the rest of people. At least I felt more comfortable with them. It’s like they kept the essence of childhood as a treasure.

So, I was so busy working that I never though about all this, I mean: that learning to draw was my biggest dream and I never ever considered studying Fine Arts. So, finally, years ago, one day, I started to look for serious art teaching and I found NMA. I absolutely love Vilppu!, but also Huston, Joshua Jacobo,… Now the improvement with these live classes is so exciting. I love Miles Yoshida’s classes, I love when he talks about zen and meditation while doing a fine line with a brush, because that is what drawing is to me, a kind of meditation…. I’m just at the beginning, but I hope to have the opportunity to learn to do a self-portrait with ink!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by MyriamMyriam. Reason: typo
    Dániel Flajsz
    Participant
    No points.

Hello!

So, the first assignment 🙂

My name is Dani, I’m a software developer by day. When I was a kid I loved to draw, but when I started working, somehow I stopped drawing for 10+ years. But it was always in the back of my mind that someday I should start doing art again. So 3 years ago I’ve decided to learn to draw properly. Since then I usually spend my weekday nights watching video courses, doing assignments, and working on personal projects. I really love black & white ink art, my heroes were always illustrators and comic book artists like Gustave Doré, Hal Foster, John Buscema, Gary Gianni, Mark Schultz, Liam Sharp. I was delighted when I saw the announcement that Miles would start a course on inking here on NMA. I’m a self-taught inker, I only know what I could decipher from watching my favorite artists’ drawings, so it’s great to finally learn from such a master inker as Miles Yoshida. Here are some samples from my sketchbooks, you can see a lot more on my instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/danielflajsz/

luiz simonard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello I’m a web developer, but what I really enjoy to do is art.

my main influences are leonardo da vinci, rafael, yoshitaka amano, Ayami Kojima,  Carlos Schwabe,  Félicien Rops, Pierre Puvis de Chavannes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.