Influences behind Miles Yoshida’s Ink Art, Materials for Inking, and Hatching with Straight Lines

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Influences behind Miles Yoshida’s Ink Art, Materials for Inking, and Hatching with Straight Lines

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, instructor Miles Yoshida will introduce you to the influences and inspiration behind his famous inking artwork. You will be examining the techniques behind old Renaissance drawings. Miles will share with you his body of work and introduce you to his drawing process. Then, you will explore the materials needed for inking and watch Miles demonstrate hatching on paper using straight lines.

This lesson belongs to the course Introduction to Inking. In this 12-week course, Miles Yoshida will provide you with a complete manual for inking. You will start the course by examining old Renaissance drawings. You will study the essential materials needed for inking, including a ballpoint pen, a technical pen, a dip pen, and a brush. Then, Miles will demonstrate hatching and creating gradients using straight and curvilinear lines. From there, he will show you how to apply those skills to a compositional study of basic forms. You will also get a chance to create a master copy which will further strengthen your hatching ability. Toward the second half of the course, Miles will teach you how to draw a still-life, hands, animals, and landscapes in different approaches. Lastly, you will learn to create a self-portrait drawing from life on toned paper using a combination of black and white inks. This course will offer you many opportunities to practice your hatching skills so that you can capture any subject and master the art of inking.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

mot mot
    Participant
    No points.

subtitles and video are out of sync

great lecture!

Robert GerrityRobert Gerrity
    Participant
    No points.

This guy is very in depth and articulate from the get go. Enjoying learning from miles so far.

teresmajor
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I discovered Yoshida online couple of years ago and I’m very thankful for this course. I’m a Digital Product Designer and I draw as a means to escape.

My introduction with drawing began here on NMA a couple of years ago, before that I couldn’t draw anything. And it always felt like I lack a fundamental skill like hearing or talking. I’ve started with Steve Huston and Glenn Vilppu’s lessons and  in time I grew a special interest for ink drawing. That’s why I am very excited for this course. I like the energy of undone, sketchy works more than finished and polished works.

My biggest inspiration for ink drawing is probably drawings and etchings of Anders Zorn. I also love The Ink drawings of Rembrandt and Steve Huston’s fountain pen sketches. I also really like the sketches of Miles Yoshida because it has that traditional kind of aesthethic to it.

Thanks for the course!

Sarah Santana
    Participant
    No points.

Loving it.   I am a Business Analyst and drawing and Caligraphy had made me more focus, more concious, smarter (because of the complexity of the problems you need to solve in drawing).   I can apply what I learn in drawing to my System Analysis career, besides the enormous health benefits I have received.

I really like Miles course, it is the first time that I see a course of him or his art. I like the way he explains.  The first video 36 minutes took me about 2 hours because I reflected on everything he said and wrote them down as quotes and look up the references.  I am really glad NMA, have this course.

My influence definitely is DaVinci because of how secure he was on his craft.  I liked the “St John the Evangelist” of Bartholomew Spranger because of its down to hearth mere mortal vive, it is just enough simple and doable.  It inspired me because I can see myself drawing and inking a St John the Evangelist.  The minute I saw the drawing, I said: “Ok, this is something I can do”.  Thank you Miles, I hope to see more of you.

Ruggero ChiminazzoRuggero Chiminazzo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, I am an architect/retail designer. I am learning the piano and arts. These are the two main things I do in my life. My job just serves to support these.

I studied in  Venice and I believe my main influences are Da Vinci, Pontormo, Michelangelo, Piranesi, Escher, and many others. I am interested in learning different techniques. The past left a few fragments that we can use and bring forward. NMA is helping me and many others to do that.

Inking is intimidating to me. I am confident this class will help me discover something one year ago I would never have imagined I could afford to do.

PeterHsu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi all. I’m a freelance illustrator working out of Auckland, New Zealand where I’m currently halfway through my Bachelors of Fine Arts in painting and printmaking. I was self-taught for years before I decided to take the plunge and go to art school, and I still feel like I’m missing a lot of structured learning about fundamentals. Inking has always been my passion, and I’m really looking forward to what this course can teach me.

My influences are really wide, but for inking I’ve always been drawn to the works of Jim Woodring, Ralph Steadman, and Joseph Clement Coll. Of course, I have huge respect for Glenn Vilppu, Steve Huston, Kim Jung-Gi, Peter Han and a special regard for my friend Donald Phan.

Below is an example of the work I’ve been doing for school, a self-portrait caricature.

RosaLarrosa
    Participant
    No points.

Hello.

I just want to learn how to draw. I don’t know why and I don’t have any artistic goal. I like almost any kind of art. I like classic comic like Moebius or Frazetta and renaissance and baroque artists like Durer, Sancio, Rembradt…

Feff
    Participant
    No points.

Hi everyone,

I’m Feff. I’m a comic creator. I feel like I have a solid foundation in drawing, but I’ve never really put enough thought into my inking, and as someone who has to ink pages – it’s a really important skill that is too underdeveloped for me!  While I work primarily digitally for comics, I still do traditional work at the end of the day and it would be nice to be more confident with my inking tools. I’m looking forward to going through the course and will do my best to be a bigger part of the community here (I tend to do things alone – a habit of being utterly self-taught)

Pleased to meet you all!

MargrietAssinkMargrietAssink
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hoi everybody, great to see so many different kind of artists here! I am very eager to start in this course. I just ordered the materials that I lack. I love drawing and animation. I am self taught. I have been working on portraits an figure drawing/ anatomy and NMA has helped me a lot with that. I have been a comic book fan since I was little. In the beginning mainly European comics, later I discovered comics from other countries and I hot mostly into manga. My influences come from comics (Rosinski, Shinobu Otaka, Enki Bilal, Bill Watterson, Kim Jung Gi), art- Ivan Bilibin, Waterhouse, Zorn, Rockwell, Turner, Yves Klein, Sargent and so many more. I make comics, but full color. This is a recent one (digital). I hope everyone enjoys the course, have a nice day 🙂

Sarah Santana
    Participant
    No points.

AND Then NOW The Weather Forecast,   Rain all day ,         With an occasional shower.

Wao, God Bless Google!!!! Nice visual

Sarah Santana
    Participant
    No points.

I started the  1st assignment and see the point in doing the exercises. I was giving up on the extrafine dip pen until I tried multiple times and figure that I can not press the tip against the paper.  I am looking forward to finish the first assignment. I am using a couple of agendas and calendars that I had because they have the squares already and saves me some extra effort.  I can save a couple of pages from the sketchbook and find good use to the empty days in my agendas.

MargrietAssinkMargrietAssink
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you! Practically our weather last weeks 😉

Good idea of using empty days in agendas and calenders.

Sharon Sherman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m excited to learn pen & ink, would like to incorporate watercolor washes as well. I’m a graphic designer (love type and logo design), but I am looking forward to drawing and painting again (took courses in college many years ago). I love impressionism! I have taken several classes in mosaics and really enjoyed that as well. Just went to the Beyond Van Gogh exhibit and was inspired to finally sign up and take some online classes from professional fine artists.

Grace Wilkins
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi! I am a student currently studying in the UK. I like to draw and paint but I really want to improve my inking so that my drawings look neater. I also want to improve my observational skills. https://www.instagram.com/fugummy_fruit/ My instagram has a lot of my sketchbook pages. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.