Figure Drawing I : Gesture

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Figure Drawing I : Gesture

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this first lesson on gesture, you will learn how to capture the overall action and life of the figure using lines, tones, and even wash. You will learn how to establish a gestural underlayer using rhythms to instill your figure drawings with a sense of liveliness and vitality right from the start.

Marine Péron
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello,

the videos are not in the right order. Nice lesson though 🙂

Yue Liu
    Participant
    No points.

I wonder what’s the French artist’s name mentioned in Part 6 at 6:14?

steven lakoff
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Part 7, around the 7 minute mark, has the wrong photo displayed.  Just for the record.

steven lakoff
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yue Liu,

The French artist is Daumier.

Natalie MontelongoNatalie Montelongo
    Keymaster
    Administrator Badge
    No points.

Thank you for letting us know, @stevenlakoff 🙂

HonestkaHonestka
    Participant
    No points.

This section is included in the Dynamic Gesture Drawing path immediately after a section titled by almost the exact same name and very similar content. It seems to be filmed in a different style (not NMA) and doesn’t feel like it fits in (redundant) with the rest of the course pathway so far.

HonestkaHonestka
    Participant
    No points.

PS: Also anticipating this happening with “6. Figure Drawing I : Construction” since the format of the title is the same, using the colon and the Roman numeral instead of a straight line: “|” like the rest of the course.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

This course is core to our program so we have recorded it more than once. NMA has been producing content for almost nine years so the look has changed significantly over time. Rather than totally replace the original videos we have provided both so that you get the most amount of examples. This is a bit confusing though, and we have plans to reorganize this in the future. If you feel that you already understand the subject matter you can skip ahead, but it is indeed by design.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I’ve taken a look at this and I agree it’s confusing. We will make some changes and I will get back to you with an update. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Okay, the staff will work on this some more but I have done some housekeeping that I think will help reduce confusion.

https://www.nma.art/courses/renaissance-figure-drawing/

This is the standard Vilppu figure drawing course. The content level 3 and beyond still needs to be moved into another “technique” course.

Here is the old legacy version of that same course:

https://www.nma.art/courses/vilppu-drawing-manual-legacy/

Okay I moved the anatomy content into its own course:

https://www.nma.art/courses/intermediate-art-anatomy/

and here’s the legacy version of that anatomy course:

https://www.nma.art/courses/vilppu-anatomy-lectures-2012/

We will do more to clean and organize this but for now I hope this helps!

HonestkaHonestka
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Mr. Jacobo — that helps a lot! Fabulous! Thank you so much for the attentive ear you always bend toward the community.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

You’re very welcome. I appreciate the feedback because it almost always results in a better website for everyone.

Andreas Hellberg
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hello!
    just wondering what kind of paper is used in the videos?
    I am particularly interested in paper  that goes well with the water-brush technique.
    Thanks!

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Andreas, Im not certain which paper Glenn is using in the video, but I do know that he likes to use waterbrush technique in his Molekine sketchbooks. In general, water brush works better on thick/heavy weight paper. If you’re not sure, watercolor paper should work well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.