Erik’s 100 Day Challenge: Say More With Less

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Erik’s 100 Day Challenge: Say More With Less

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 50

Thanks Gordon and Joshua! Today, back to the mural and yellow purple compliments.  This is Marian Anderson singing at the Lincoln Memorial. The figures are split into simple value shapes, two values for Lincoln And 3 for Anderson. I merged the values of the two as they overlap to show how they are both part of the African American story.

Mariananserson

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Erik. Your mural’s looking great (though check the structure of Marian’s face) and your portrait was really lovely. The mural must be quite big – there are a number of paintings you have going on. I can’t wait to see it complete! The grid method makes sense for getting the scale, but it also makes sense that the scale doesn’t change the thinking behind the drawing – volumes, structure etc. The people must be loving seeing it come together! Thanks for the book recommendation. I’ve had an eye on that one for a while. Glad to hear it’s good.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 51

This was a fun one. Nuclear blast in purple/yellow compliments.  Color and contrast are way off in this photo.
    Deborah, thanks for the compliments.  The whole mural is 50 feet long.  Unfortunately, there is no one in the building due to COVID. Working in a huge empty high school really gives you an apocalyptic feeling.

Nuclear blast

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 52

I couldn’t resist….

Assault on citizens

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 53

Nothing too exciting today.

Protesters

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 54

More signs and protesters. Painting sitting in a hard concrete floor.

Protesters

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 55

It was so nice to paint with oil on canvas today  after painting for 5 days on cinderblock. 30 minute grisaille block ins from the new Portrait painting in oils series.

Grisaille

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These are lovely Erik. Do you have a favourite medium? You seem to move between them pretty fluidly. The mural’s looking good. There’s an awful lot going on in the US at the moment isn’t there. 50 feet is huge! I do hope you can have students back there soon, but the isolation is for a good cause. The world has changed so quickly. Keep up the good work!

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 52 is heavy. I’m surprised they let you paint that. Keep up the good work 🙂

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 56

Thanks Deborah! I don’t really have a favorite medium. I think I am much more patient and focused when I am painting. Drawings always seem like they are something I do and then are hidden in a sketchbook or stuck in a drawer where no one will look at them.

Thanks Dan, sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission!
    I didn’t do too much art today, mostly experimented with materials. Here is a photo of a sketchbook cover I painted, and a horrible warm up imaginary landscape I drew.

Sketchbook cover

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 57

More work on the San Juan Cathedral painting. The biggest addition is a gradient in the whole facade from a more intense, warmer yellow on the left, closest to the viewer, to a less intense cooler yellow on the right. I think I am ready to let this one rest for a while.

I meant Brian and not Dan in the comment yesterday. It was late when I posted that, sorry.

San Juan Vathedral

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 58

Back to the mural. More protesters and signs.

Mural

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work on the mural. I’d consider losing the dark outline on your middle group silhouettes. They don’t need them and it sort of breaks the parallax effect that you’re doing. Also if the third row was lighter still than the second it would push the crowd into the distance more.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 58

Thanks Joshua. I followed your advice and made the changes. I spent a long time today working on the portrait of MLK. I also reworked the nuclear blast adding lighter tones in the dark silhouette, softening edges, and increasing contrast in the lighter areas.

Mural

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Erik. This is looking very good. Removing the outlines is a good decision. The character I’ve circled doesn’t read like a person and because I can’t work out what it is, my eye keeps being drawn to it. Also I’d consider getting rid of the bit coming off the left of the arm. I think that when the shapes are pure silhouettes, everything has to read very simply; which you know, because everything else does! Keep up the good work.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 197 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.