Erik’s 100 Day Challenge: Say More With Less

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Erik’s 100 Day Challenge: Say More With Less

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

DAY 1

I’ll start things off with one of the last drawings I did when we still had live drawing sessions from a model.  Hopefully those days will be with us again.   In a couple of Vilppu’s videos he mentions intentionally doing things in his drawing process to slow himself down.  I can really relate to that.  In this challenge, I want to slow down, be more deliberate and say more with less.  I am working through several of the NMA courses currently, the Costume Figure course, and the Russian Drawing course.  I’ll post work from those endeavors as well as other stuff I am working on to try and improve.

Dennis PostulaDennis Postula
    Participant
    No points.

nice drawing I like the portraits you posted. Regarding this drawing, try tracing over her left leg and then shifting it over to the left

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

DAY 1

5 to 10 minute sketches from the Costume Drawing Course.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

10 minute lay in.10 min lay in

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi erik

nice sketches.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 2

Doing Glenn Vilppu’s advanced figure drawing lessons: Vine charcoal.

Figure

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks so much. I am beginning to see some payoff for all of the hard work. Gives me encouragement to keep at it.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 2

From Vilppu’s lecture. Blocked in from the reference and took a break. Finished from imagination because I couldn’t find the reference again.

3 crayon portrait

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 3

Figure Study.  I was really trying to emphasize the gesture lines in the construction and state everything as clearly and as simply as possible when doing the shading.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by erikdenneserikdennes.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by erikdenneserikdennes.
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Erik. Welcome to the challenge! You’ll find the time will fly. Great drawings! One small comment if you’d like one – your heads seem a little on the small side. How are you finding Glenn’s teaching? He’s amazing isn’t he! Out of interest, in which videos does he talk about slowing down? There’s a lot to learn from all of the teachers on NMA. Keep up the great work!

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Deborah.  I can’t recall the exact video where he talked about slowing down, sorry.  Another comment he made that has stuck with me is that the natural tendency is to copy reference, so he goes out of his way to keep from doing that.  He rarely uses the same lighting as the reference preferring often to use modeling tone or conceptual light where the center of the form gets the strongest light and the sides are in shadow.  He will often change the pose as well to better explain the action.  I am constantly amazed by the quality of instruction on this site, and they keep adding more!!

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 4

Ink portrait
    Ink portrait on toned paper from imagination.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 5

Not much time today. Just a handful of quick profile studies.

Profile studies

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 6

This is a copy of a piece done by Illustrator Kevin Keele. I learned the importance of having well designed shapes where the dark and light shapes weave into each other as well has having confident mark making and slowing way down in the halftone areas.

Toned portrsit

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 7

I tried to apply what I learned on day 6 to a more realistic portrait.

Day 7 portrait

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 197 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.