Erik’s 100 Day Challenge: Say More With Less

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Erik’s 100 Day Challenge: Say More With Less

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 197 total)
  • Author
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Occasionally, if I really can’t see a colour in its context, I’ll take a photo into procreate and use the colour picker to isolate and really see what the colour is. Then I find when I go back to the real thing, it’s easier to see that colour back in its relationship with the others. Looking good!

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 67

Thanks Petru and Deborah.  I’ll give that a try.

I’m switching gears today.  I got an idea for a piece, so I started sketching it out digitally.  It is supposed to be a girl looking into a soap bubble which is reflecting a lavish interior scene with food, music, and a handsome man – a comment on the ephemeral nature of material things.  I spent most of my art time researching 6 point perspective, constructing a grid,  laying out a simple interior and looking for references.
    soap bubble

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Great idea and it’s a really cool sketch. I am intimidated by such perspective. Your latest block in is really good also. You have a wonderful spirit of taking on challenging subjects. Confidence shows in your bold brush strokes in oil too. Don’t loose that. Color is quite subjective in my opinion. The bigger problem is when you see too many nuances and can’t concentrate on the main values. There is a video on Youtube, a watercolor artist painting a face in greenish colors, but with correct values, and it all works. Stan Miller I think. I recently came across a beautiful watercolor by Zorn where the lady’s face is clearly green.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 68

Thanks Kat for the kind words and advice!  That makes me feel a lot better about not seeing all the colors a “real” painter sees.  I’m glad you like the sketch, because drawing it out is going to be very time consuming and difficult, so I want to make sure that the initial idea is strong enough To warrant extensive development.

I didn’t have time for too much today, something has come up that I had to deal with.  I did a quick study of a Sargent drawing
    Sargent study

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 69

I am on day 3 of a 5 day fast and didn’t have too much energy today.

Heads

Heads

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 70

I did the line drawing for the soap bubble.  It was really easier than I thought it was going to be.  Still needs a little work, but I am liking the start.

soap bubble

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Oh, wow!! Very impressive! It doesn’t look easy at all! Do you feel like posting your construction work? It would be fascinating to see how you got here, but no pressure 🙂.

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

It’s impressive indeed. Great work Erik!

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 71

Thanks Kat and Deborah!  I don’t have the construction to post, but all I really did was get a 5 point perspective grid and use that as my underlayer.  Then I drew the box of the room starting with the wall that is facing us.  After you get the box on the 5 point perspective grid, the rest is just standard perspective stuff: referencing for scale, “X”ing to divide space, and then adding details.

Color added.  I’m not really very good with painting and digital.  I mostly use it for sketching out ideas.  This is the furthest I’ve taken a piece in the digital realm.  Still needs some work, but I’m happy where it is going.

bubble

Here it is in the context of the sketch.

soap bubble sketch

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

If there are any jazz fans out there, the trio is John Scofield, Steve Swallow, and Poncho Sanchez.

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Awesome! I am exited to see the final result. Are you going to keep this composition ? If the soap bubble will be the main focal point, I feel like it may be a little too close to the border of the picture on top. I say this, but I don’t know anything about composition actually.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Kewwwlll!

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Great work Erik, it looks real good!

I have to admit I have never heard of 5 point perspective. What is 5 point perspective? I have completed Erik Olson’s course on perspective and 5 point perspective is something he definitely did not bring up in his lectures.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I’ll let Erik answer this but I will mention that 5 and 6 point perspective will be covered in our next perspective course with Craig Attebery. 👍🏼

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Day 72

Thanks to Kat, Joshua, and Gordan.  Basically, 4,5, and 6 point perspective deals with arcs to the vanishing points instead of straight lines.  Its like a wide angle fish eye lens.  I used 6 point perspective in the bubble to curve the left and right as well as top and bottom vanishing points around the sphere of the bubble with a another vanishing point in the center for depth.  Kim Jung Gi uses it a lot to get his wide perspective drawings.  Of course, he can do it all without a grid!

I worked on the background and portrait today.  I really suck at digital.  I need way more practice.

bubble

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 197 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.