Drawing Exercises

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Drawing Exercises

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Mai, the Steadtler is graphite right? this is almost the polar opposite of conte. Conte is like a chalk and wax mix. similar to charcoal but maybe closer to pitt pastel. my experience in working with conte is somewhere in between these two.
    I hope this helps

melting kettle
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey, guys, on video no 5 from week 2. Where instructor Chris Legaspi asks to draw lines on the paper he says it’s fine to use a sketchbook. Is it fine to work as you would with a normal notebook on a desk or should you have a sort of easel where the drawing surface is relatively vertical? At what distance should the sketchbook be from me? Should I use only shoulder movements to make these lines? Thank you

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

hi melting kettle, the traditional way to draw is on a drawing horse with a drawing board on your lap and propped up against the end of the horse. In this position you elbow is bent to nearly a 90 degree angle, and you slouch forward so that your eye site is perpendicular to the surface of the drawing pad.
    The benefit to drawing on an easel is that you dont have to bend your back or neck to have a perpendicular viewing angle.
    and you can be as close or as far away as you want.
    drawing from the should is a good idea because its is mechanically easier to control the pencil.
    If you are at a desk and if it is possible to angle you sketchbook so that it is more vertical, this would be ideal, so that you dont develop back or neck issues over time.
    and i think its better to have your elbow at least at 90 degrees, I have developed ulnar nerve damage due to it being bent less than 90 degrees for long periods of time. you will notice this if your pinky and ring finger start going numb.
    So this is all about developing safe practices and hobbits so that you dont injure yourself over time
    it may be possible for you do build an easel or drafting table top for little money. you can clamp your sketchbook or paper to these
    I hope this helps, and good luck!

Benjamin Fosu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The assignments. Loved the warm up exercises and the measurement assignment can be difficult but I’ll get better.

MeganMegan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow! I feel like I have been drawing my whole life incorrectly. Using my shoulder was quite tricky—apologies for the poor lighting. I struggled with the hatching lines the most. I switched between drawing on the easel and drawing sitting down. I am typically very rigid when drawing, so I am trying to improve my technique.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.