Drawing Exercises

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Drawing Exercises

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Choy Jin Hao
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello! I am Raymond Choy and glad to meet you all on this journey! I want to improve in my Art tremendously! I bought ‘some’ materials, and planning to order online the remaining ones since the store did not provide them. I wish to improve in Digital Art actually since I don’t have the space or a big open space for my subject of reference. I will send a photo soon of my set-up.  As for those materials, I will use them for my sketches on my sketchpad when I go about areas, cause I take Chris Legaspi’s note on having sketchpads is important for artists; as eventually it would be used during resumes or applying for job.

Question:
    1) Can I continue this course with a Wacom Digital Drawing Pad? If not, where do I go to next after this course?
    2) Where do I submit my assignment works, is on Discussions Forums at every course?

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hello Choy, in theory you could use a Wacom tablet, but you will be missing out on the material specific lessons. In my opinion, it’s better to stay with traditional materials even if they are slightly different than what the course demonstrates.
    If you ask more specific questions about materials I will try to help. But if you insist on doing digital, Ipad would be the better option because of its pencil tilt functionality. But still if you use Wacom, I suggest Chris Legaspi’s Photoshop course.
    If you are taking the live class which can be found on live.nma.art there are instructions on how to submit your work under the assignments tab. If you are taking the course at your own pace, I recommend submitting your work on our discord server in the classes specific channel #beginners-guide-to-drawing
    the link to discord is at the top of the page “discuss on discord”

As to where you should go next, we have a work in progress document that outlines the curriculum based on your specific interests,
    https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1snb6iXfrqL8p1IJ1GFVW3X-EjRvQ1tnHSqGsnRBkwXQ/edit

Once you find your interest at the bottom, then work your way backwards towards Drawing Foundations aka Beginners Guide to Drawing,
    you can click on the bubble to see a break down of the recommended courses at each step

I hope this helps

Aiko
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Update: wrong forum

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Aiko.
    Claire
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Do I need to submit my assignments, and if so, how do I post them?

Rachel
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I sit at a drawing desk because I don’t (currently) have an easel or drawing horse. Just following along with these exercises for a few minutes I feel pain in my wrist. How do I move my arm from the shoulder more when I’m sitting? It seems super weird. Unless maybe I need a bigger sheet of paper or something? I’m currently using a small-ish (9″ x 12″) sketch pad.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Rachel, This might have to do with how you are holding the pencil. I recommend the traditional grip rather than the tripod grip in general, especially when drawing larger and from the shoulder, with the side of the pencil and if you are experiencing wrist pain. I also recommend having you paper perpendicular to your line of site to reduce perspective distortion and to reduce neck injuries.
    I think its a good idea to get a larger 18×24 pad and a drawing horse, or you can just prop your clip board against your desk, or back of your chair, if you don’t have access to a drafting table or an easel.

Camila Navarro
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi 👋I was wondering where can I upload my assigments? Do they get feedback?

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Camila, if you are taking the live classes, please see the assignment tab under the video.
    If you are watching the prerecorded classes, you can get feedback by signing up for the coaching program
    https://coaching.nma.art/
    or you can post here on the forums or on discord to receive peer feedback 🙂

Mackenzie Jones
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

5 Household Items

These are my 5 household items completed! I was a little bit unsure how I missed the explanation of the plumb line! I completed my three pages of drawing techniques and boy, is my arm ever tired! Great beginner course and I’m still so motivated. Thank you for the great content. Art on!

Cindy DELORY
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Here my trial for the constructive drawing. I miss the speaker unfortunately. I think that it a very good exercice for drawing precise objects of the life !!!

Mei Yan Yip
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m excited to join the class

Alexander Alexis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Assignment 1:

assignment1

Assignment 2:

assignment 2

Assignment 3:

assignment 3a

assignment 3b

assignment 3c

assignment 3d

Sara Sumler
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello! I’m practicing sharpening my pencils, but I’m finding the sandpaper part the most difficult. I keep breaking the lead during this step. Any further tips? Thank you!

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Sara, this could be due to several factors. 1) slow down and take your time, unless you have a belt sander, sanding your pencil tips takes time. If you press to hard it will break 2) some softer mediums (conte and charcoal) just wont sand. they are too soft and crumble. try using a harder medium 3) sometimes pencils are duds, maybe it was dropped, maybe the core is a bad mix, try another from a different set and see if it works better.
    I hope this helps

Mai Elwan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hi .. in my country i dont have conte .. can I use steadtler mars lumograph black instead ? are they similar to each other ?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.