Christopher’s 100 Day Challenge: Building A Solid Foundation

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Christopher’s 100 Day Challenge: Building A Solid Foundation

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 67

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Christopher. How’s your hand going? Would it be worth switching to a pencil for a while so you can draw overhand and keep your grip loose? You’re doing great practice – it’s inspiring me to do more of this sketchbook style practice. It looks like you’re really understanding 3D forms. Keep up the good work!

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah. My hand still isn’t recovered and yes what you are suggesting could help. I have to admit that I’m probably a bit stubborn if it’s about my hand/arm 😅

I already visited a doctor multiple times but he couldn’t find anything, so my hand and I have a difficult time getting along sometimes which just can get a bit frustrating. I mean in the moment I decided to practise in ink for a while my hand shows up and says no 😭🤣

About my work, it’s funny to hear that since my understanding of form is still something I would call weakness. It’s probably what I suggested to you in terms of balancing out your skills. Meaning that in comparison to other aspects of my work my forms and structural thinking are my biggest strength but instead of recognizing that I got problems moving on since it’s hard to accept not being able to execute them exactly how I want them with my current abilities.

It’s similar to then you suggested to not think about my line quality to much a while back and I’m still grinding those stupid ellipses that still, even after having drawn thousands of them, don’t look “perfect” 😅

I think that’s something I need to work on, for me it’s often more easy trying to force things like trying to push the wall forward instead of facing other weak spots that potentially will look even worse 👋

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Christopher.
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 68

I know the second skull looks like a baby skull but it was intended to be a female skull with the camera being above, I think I messed something up proportions wise … 😅

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 69

Since I focus on the skull so much right now, I thought I’ll look into Mark Westermoe’s lectures just to get a different point of view on the subject. Additionally I’m also interested in the Riley method.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 70

Completed the lecture about the cranium. I got no clue how accurate my understanding is. I just whish there were some reference pictures of the individual bones or even better 3d models, at least for me the few moments there Ilya holds the bones in his hand aren’t enough to fully grasp their form’s.

I think it will take a while before I reach that point 😅

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 71

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Sorry for the bad lighting 😅

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 72

I’m trying to reinforce/solidify the learned through my own studies utilizing some books I have. I don’t know how accurate that is and  if I’m doing it right but I think it’s important to repeat the learned without relying on the resource you learned it from.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Working from the 3d model.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Christopher. I’m back for a new challenge. I know what you mean about needing to see the parts of the skull as reference. I’m almost wondering about buying a model skull to practice from. You’re doing lots of great study. Back to your 17 August reply to me which I haven’t had a chance to answer… I also am having to realise that I need to work on other areas even though I’m not anywhere close to competent with what I’ve been working on. I had started with perspective and realised that I needed to be able to draw figures before there was any point continuing. So I’ve done some of that and will now bounce back and forth between the two and also work on other foundational pillars, trying to build up a range of skills together.

Is the pencil drawing making a difference to your hand? Don’t ignore the pain – you don’t want to cause yourself damage 🙂.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.