Andres’s 100 Day Challenge: Sight-size drawing Bargue plates

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Andres’s 100 Day Challenge: Sight-size drawing Bargue plates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Andres,

I like these Bargue plates you’re working on. I think you are doing an excellent job with the silhouettes, shadows, and (most importantly) edges. I say edges are necessary, only because I believe they are fundamental in the Bargue plates, I don’t think they are objectively the most important thing. I just wanted to clear that up. So I know that I am a bit biased towards a more constructive approach to drawing, so take what I say with that in mind. I do want to mention that I think it would be good to supplement these very observational drawings with some structural and anatomical analysis. The Bargue plates are perfect for learning to see proportions, angles, big 2-dimensional shapes, and all fundamental and necessary stuff. But I feel they can also be limiting. Maybe treat them as a broader assignment. Do the Bargue, but then make copies from someone like Gottfried Bammes, the famous German anatomist and artist. That way, you’ll be killing two birds with one stone, so to say, and the work will be more interesting, as well as figure substantially into your general artistic education.
    On top of that, you can write out the anatomy of say, the arm, and even label the Bargue copy. The plates are unbelievably precise when it comes to changes in plane along the contour, and a very informed artist did them. I feel that it makes sense to make the most of the plates and put yourself in the mind of their original creators, rather than practice them the way people draw them a lot of the time, as strictly an observational exercise.
    This wasn’t a critique, more a suggestion. Good luck, and keep up the excellent work!

Best,

Iliya

Andres CabanosAndres Cabanos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Plate 10 of Day 020

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Iliya,

Thank you for the comment 🙏. That sounds like a brilliant idea! I defiantly agree with you. I just thought maybe doing something that is totally different from what I was taught will improve my observational skills and in some ways the sight size approach has. Also Ive been studying the head and also the portrait more so I thought maybe sight size can improve my observations upon that. But now I feel like things are starting to become tedious with the Bargues lol

About one of the assignments you’ve recommended, just to be sure 😅. Do you mean I would have to draw from Gottfried Bammes but in a sight size/constructive anatomical approach? And are there specific drawings I should copy from Bammes, say his anatomical diagrams or his figure drawings or any drawings from him is fine to copy? The only book I have from Gottfried Bammes is “Complete Guide to Anatomy for Artist and Illustrators”.

I would appreciate it 🙂.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Plate 11 of Day 021

Started off  the drawing a little bit loose this time while keeping the proportions in place.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Plate 11 of Day 022

Didn’t really like the look from the first drawing and decided to try it in a different medium. The first drawing from plate 11 was done in polychrome wax pencil. The revised one was done in charcoal.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Plate 11 of Day 023

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Plate 11 of Day 024

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Plate 12 of Day 025

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Plate 12 of Day 026

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Plate 12 of Day 027

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Plate 12 of Day 028

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Plate 12 of Day 029

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Plate 13 of Day 030

iamjakerooiamjakeroo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hey,

you have some great sight-size drawings

tempted to try some of those out myself

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks man,

Yes, I think you’ll find great value in the sight-size approach. Good luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 157 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.