Would love some critique

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Would love some critique

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ed.ronside
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Ed 🙂 Great piece! I’m working on being able to draw this well.I really like the tight value range your working with. I personally find it creates a more reflective mood than a stronger contrast chiascuro which reads more dramatic to me. I think being more selective with your use of edge line will help bring dimensionality back into the image. Because it is consistent through the whole figure’s edge, it makes the overall image read more like a 2D shape, which competes with the form you’ve created in the figure. Maybe have areas where it is clear and others not so much. Other areas little to none to allow areas to fall back. Thinner, thicker. Depends on what your reason for it’s use is. But gosh, great drawing!

ed.ronside
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

thanks for the feedback. I agree about the outline around the whole drawing making it look a little more ‘flat’. I will take it into consideration in the future!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

you’re welcome 🙂 Do you follow Iliya on instagram? His most recent posts of figure, portrait and drapery drawings would be good for you to see. He uses line for the outer edges as an effective design tool – they enhance the images. I quite like them.

ed.ronside
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I just had a look at his instagram, interesting stuff. I did follow along his figure drawing videos about a year ago while i did a free NMA trial. Incredible artist. I also love Anthony Ryder’s work, and i really like how he does a very clear outline around a lot of his drawings. I think i was trying to emulate that style with this drawing, but i didn’t pull it off very effectively. Certainly not as well as he does!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yeah he’s great. I’m going to take his course here soon.

I wasn’t actually familiar with Ryder’s work. I just had a quick look – lovely! It seems that the line quality is softer, a bit thinner and less value contrast with the overall portrait/figure that what you have here. I think experimenting with your line quality and effect would be beneficial. I do like it as a stylistic choice. It needs to compliment and enhance your drawing.

Again, this is a beautiful drawing!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.