what do you guys think about reference images in v3 beta?

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Website Suggestions and Wish List what do you guys think about reference images in v3 beta?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Magnar Jarle Olsen
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hi, Merry Christmas!

just struggling with downloading reference images in v3. I press the download button, and something seems to happen. But I get no info where the file ended up. and I pretty quickly hit a max nr of downloads limit. That limit isnt there in the v2 site, I think.

Anybody know where the image ends up? (No, not the download folder. I’ve looked :))
    I like the old site, where you caan right click the image, choose download, and choose your own save path.

Natalie MontelongoNatalie Montelongo
    Keymaster
    Administrator Badge
    No points.

Hello, Magnar.

NMA’s download policy permits for 10 downloadable images per day, and is still in place on the v2 site.
    The images should be downloading to either your desktop, or wherever your device preferences directs downloads.
    Please submit a ticket for further support.

Magnar Jarle Olsen
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, thanks for reply. Checked download preferences in Edge (on windows PC). Nothing in the folder that was listed there. I am sticking to v2 while I can, not wasting time on support right now – I’ll waste the time when I have to 🙂

Still think you should just let people decide where they want their files saved though.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

It’s horrible, I can’t download reference photos any more!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Natalie, could you please tell me how can I get Maude’s new photos? They’re the reason why I bought the membership, but now I can’t find them in new website.

Ben Ali
    Participant
    No points.

Why can’t there be a subscription for the library in which you have unlimited downloads? I think that would be great.

David Cole
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This product is garbage and not worth the money. I have an IPad Pro that everything works on except New Masters Academy for some reason. The whole allure of NMA is its 3d and reference library which doesn’t work on an iPad Pro. Videos are great until you have to pause it and then you have clear out the browser and start over . I’m not buying a laptop just to use you’re product. For as long as NMA has been around I would expect better from you.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Maudes images are still synchronizing to V3. Because V3 loads the full image, which is a super huge file (50-60mb each), it takes some time. The upside is that once these synchronize, you will never have to wait for the image to load.
    Half of the albums are already on v3, you can check here https://www.nma.art/v3/art-catalog/images/?filters=models%5Bmaude%5D
    You can find the rest at standard definition on nma.art, to get full res, you will have to download them

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi David, first of all, I understand your frustrations. Let me try to address what I can to hopefully shed some clarity.

We are working on some exciting new advancements in the 3D viewer. I can’t say much right now, but once it’s released, it will work on all platforms.
    The current issues with the 3d viewer are file size and web gl 2.0 support.
    Our 3d viewer does not use normal maps or bump maps to fake the resolution like other platforms. The models are 100% geometry so you can analyze the real form. Because of this, the files demand a lot of VRAM which ipads, cell phones and some lower spec laptops can not support.
    The viewer is powered by Unity which requires Web gl 2.0. Not all browsers and devices currently support this. We are working to make this more universal 🙂
    While this is frustrating,  the majority of our users work from laptop or desktop. But we are working very hard to expand usability.

If you are having an issue with V3, please submit a bug at the bottom left side of the tool bar. Or email @nma.art">info@nma.art for troubleshooting. I’d like to remind you that V3 is still in Beta. Beta is released to the public so that users can find bugs in their particular workflow and report it to or technical staff so that we can optimize the site for all users. In this way, the users get to tell us what they want.
    You can still use nma.art by opting out here https://www.nma.art/v3/my-account/beta-opt

I sincerely apologize for the issues you are experiencing on your Ipad. We are aware of the issues that you mentioned and are working towards resolving them. If there is anything else that you need, or suggestions you may have to better the site, please email @nma.art">info@nma.art

C. J. PinderC. J. Pinder
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your detailed reply, and I’d like to second the comment regarding the 3D model library. Like David, I own an iPad Pro, and every time I try to load a 3D model from the NMA site on this tablet, I’m greeted with an error message. Initially, I thought it was a fault with my tablet; however, when I contacted Apple, they explained it was a coding issue with Unity and the NMA site and not a problem with my iPad. Given your reply, and that I have found other iOS artist model apps work fine, it would seem Apple is correct. I no longer own a laptop (having invested in a rather expensive iPad Pro) so it seems rather unfair this issue hasn’t already been corrected given the iPad isn’t exactly an obscure device and that it’s affecting others, who like me are unable to get most out of the site and the premium membership all because they own an iPad.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by C. J. PinderC. J. Pinder.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by C. J. PinderC. J. Pinder.
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Christopher, thank you for your response. We hear your concerns and understand where you are coming from. You are correct that there is probably nothing wrong with your Ipad. Rather, it is a compatibility and hardware capability issue.
    The NMA viewer does not use baked lights, instead we allow you to have complete realtime control over the lighting with realistic soft shadows and fall off. This turns out to be quite demanding computationally.
    Other applications tend to fake the resolution of their models with what are called “normal maps” and “bump maps” to run more efficiently on less powerful devices.  However, this is problematic when using those models as an artistic reference. Because our viewer is designed to run demanding calculations, it is optimized to run on desktop and laptop rather than mobile devices which can not always support the VRAM load. Just as you probably cant run MAYA or Blender on your mobile device, and probably most entry level computers. What this all means is that even if we did code the viewer, as it is, to work on Ipad or your cellphone, it would not work because the hardware cannot support the load.
    On the bright side, we are working very hard to develop a universal application. We have some very smart people that know how to get around this issue, but it will take time to develop  🙂
    In the mean time, if you have concerns or feedback, feel free to direct them to “info@nma.art”

Ruben BarahonaRuben Barahona
    Participant
    No points.

is there a way we can have a thumbnail view of the whole the  folder in the library? everytime I access each folder I have to go through all the photos one by one until I find the right one, it would be easier.

I have very limited time to practice  each day and its frustrating to spend so long looking for the right reference to practice.

Ed Thomas
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m very disappointed with the 10 per day download limit on high res reference photos. This was NOT pointed out during the signup process, despite the high res download function being advertised as a feature.

“You can even download high resolution versions of these images so you can use them as reference when you are not online”

NMA, I think you need to update that statement or provide a disclaimer – something like:

“You can even download high resolution versions of these images so you can use them as reference when you are not online (but you may only download up to 10 high resolution images per day)”

I also did no read anything about this limit on the terms of use page, which I read before signing up.

NMA FAQs Page

Ben Ali
    Participant
    No points.

I wouldn’t mind paying extra for unlimited reference photo downloads but this limitation is kinda annoying.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.