Watercolor

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Watercolor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Aiva Ausekle
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

morning in forest

My first post here. I know there’s a lot to be developed in technology, but I’d like to hear things that would make work better.

Aiva Ausekle
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Aiva Ausekle
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Aiva Ausekle
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Fjord

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

You’re getting the basics of atmospheric perspective – the further away away something is, the lighter it is. That being said, it would help if each group of trees in the background was more smoothly colored – it looks like maybe you didn’t mix enough paint to paint a given section in one go (I’ve been known to do that, as well :-)) I would also delineate the outer shapes a bit more sharply and more refined so that they say “group of trees” (I once heard the quote “it doesn’t have to be realistic, it just has to be believable”). The trees in the foreground (right hand side) should be darker. What did you intend as the focal point of the picture  – the lone tree on the right-hand side? If so, focus your attention to detail here. It should be darker, as well. The foreground could maybe use some hints at detail – a log, a rock, etc.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I think this one has a nice overall value composition – my eyes are drawn to the center of the painting. The rocks on the left could do with a little less internal contrast. Given the diffused, frontal light effect, it doesn’t seem conceivable that the middle section would be that light.  The clouds seem a bit choppy (too many separate pieces, too harshly delineated). I like the subtle use of color in this monochromatic scheme.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.