Vilppu Gesture Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Vilppu Gesture Drawing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    NormanNorman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Is anyone else working through Glenn’s Gesture Drawing lesson?

Here is my take on sketching along with his demos 🙂

I would love to see yours. I still find the “containing” element quite challenging, I just dont fully understand where to contain and where to leave the form open. If forms cross i a weird way it looks not good at all. But maybe this should be ignored at first and concentrate on getting the “container” right? What is your experience?

I think I took this a little far, but it turned out okay.

I like the bottom right one, but somehow the ribcage doesnt really fit in?

I like the idea of redrawing the pose from a new perspective, will work on this  🙂

• This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by NormanNorman.
    josephmossyjosephmossy
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice work. This was my go at letting the environment into and around the figure. 

NormanNorman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@josephmossy Great! This really makes a difference – did you create the atmosphere a the very last or did you finish with emphasizing lines?

NormanNorman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I think Glenn’s way of lecturing is really good, I am learning a lot by drawing along and experimenting. Slowly I start to better understand what he is talking about. I think for me it could be even slower 😀

I am working on spherical forms now. Here is my current state of affairs – happy to hear what you see. What parts do you think I should review? I tend to drive it a bit too far than necessary, I think, but it helps me to better see where my forms dont actually work together (and its more satisfying).

From image reference, about 10-15 min each (I took my time)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by NormanNorman.
    ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@norman & @josephmossy

These are absolutely gorgeous! Norman, the drawing in which you’ve mentioned the ribcage looks wonderful in my opinion! I think the pronounced ribcage makes sense for the stretch of the pose. Overall, you lay such beautifully graceful lines!

Joseph, the way you weave unique lines to tell a cohesive story is beautiful! I’ve always found that difficult to accomplish; many props to you!

PatriciaPatricia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m a little surprised that there is not more interaction here on these forums, but maybe people are more involved in “doing” than asking for feedback. I don’t feel qualified to offer feedback, so I will just say thanks for posting your work. It’s helpful to see…looking good!

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Norman, nice work.

As you do these gestures, try to be more sensitive to how the gesture plays against a vertical line (representing gravity). Especially in the legs, this will help give your figures more of a sense of balance and the illusion of reality.

Also try to develop more sensitivity to angles and of widths in particular.

Also work on correcting your heavy hand. Use soft pencils and train yourself to lay on very very lightly and build dark values over time. This will give you more control.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.