Vera-portrait from a photograph up for critique

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Vera-portrait from a photograph up for critique

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    heidi lorenzheidi lorenz
    Participant
    No points.

This is a small portrait of my granddaughter Vera age 4. It’s an oil sketch 5 x 4″.  Actual likeness is not absolute it is a feeling I am after. I’m attempting to use my combined studies and I would like suggestions on perspective of Vera’s shoulder to head. I’d like input and maybe suggestions on how to define the separation between head and neck and how to make the shoulders correct in relation to her head.

maxlucon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi! Great work.

It doesn’t look like you have too much of light, so you would have a basic cast shadow in the neck, I believe. The first thing to do is find out the pit of the neck so you can converge your muscles to it.

I would say that, because she is looking up, her face inclined, you might see a little bit of the bottom of her noise. I did a really quick work on it, hope it helps!

heidi lorenzheidi lorenz
    Participant
    No points.

Maxlucon, my apologies for not acknowledging your response sooner. As an essential worker I suddenly was pulled from my studio and I still have not addressed working on this small painting since I posted it. Thanks so much for your view of where I might go with this. Be well, stay well!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.