Things I’m working on..

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Things I’m working on..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Leon HölzlLeon Hölzl
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey, I’m Leon from Austria. I went to a sculpting school and learned from Johanna Schwaiger who’s now teaching in NMA. She taught me so much and I’m really thankful for that! Now that she’s in LA I am happy to have all the NMA online courses to study from.
    Here are some recent and also a few older works from me and I would love to get some critiques from you all.
    The last two works I did were some Pin-ups which I used reference from the 40s-60s.
    I also love to do portraits but mostly in BW because I’m not really good with colors yet, but thats the next step.
    I mostly work digitally on my iPad and I know that working on paper would be better..
    So thanks a lot,
    Leon

Leon HölzlLeon Hölzl
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m not really sure how to add more drawings in the same post, but I just put them in the reply section.

Leon HölzlLeon Hölzl
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Leon HölzlLeon Hölzl
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

A portrait of my girlfriend.

I would love to start painting with oil but I need a few more supplies and a good working space..

Leon HölzlLeon Hölzl
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Another portait of my girlfriend which is a bit more rough and also not completed. ^^

Leon HölzlLeon Hölzl
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

A not quite finished caricature of Will Smith.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Leon, I’ve done a video critique of your work here: https://www.nma.art/forums/topic/free-student-video-critiques-by-joshua-jacobo/

Aidan AndrewsAidan Andrews
    Participant
    No points.

How do you approach tone? do you break the subjects down into planes first or do you more just eyeball it? Great work here.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Leon

I just watched Joshua’s critique of your work – very informative!

I love your pinup piece! How do you go about developing the volumes of the figure?

Leon HölzlLeon Hölzl
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Aiden,

thank you! In my opinion I’m not very good with tones and values yet and struggle with it a lot, but I guess I try to break it into planes first and then work it out as I go, so still pretty much eyeballing haha. But I watch a lot of tutorials and stuff to get better at it. Also the color theory course from NMA I’m watching at the moment really helps me.

Leon HölzlLeon Hölzl
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Josseline,

thank you! The pin-up is a copy of this piece but I tried to make her a bit curvier (I hope thats not offensive) so I got a few reference photos from NMA which I used and just tried to do the basic forms from the photo but add more volume on certain spots. I guess thats not a very good explanation but I don’t really know how else to describe it ^^

t

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Leon,

Haha all good! Volume can be something tricky for me to get right, I guess it comes down to the initial construction and values. Thanks for sharing the reference and how you used others to adapt the image to what you wanted to express. I don’t mind at all! I prefer more curvaceous and/or more muscular women, i.e. deviations from the norm. Hope you’re keeping safe.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

p.s  I saw you said to Aiden that you are doing the colour theory course here – you mean Bill Perkin’s one right? If so, that course is SO good. I came out knowing far more than I could and still can put into practice! haha. I have a sketchbook dedicated to the course. I will have to go through it again soon, and several times in the future, as the course is jam packed with information.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.