The Sculptor’s Funeral Season 1: From the Gothic Era, into the Renaissance

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion The Sculptor’s Funeral Season 1: From the Gothic Era, into the Renaissance

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

The Sculptor’s Funeral is an art history podcast by Jason Arkles, named one of the top 10 podcasts for artists by the New York Times. Now, New Masters Academy is honored to bring this popular and informative production to life as an exclusive web series.

Join sculptor and art historian Jason Arkles in the first season of The Sculptor’s Funeral, as we trace the history of sculpture from the artist’s perspective.

In this season, you will learn how Gothic-era sculpture transitioned into the sculpture of Renaissance, through the work of Nicola Pisano, Arnolfo Di Cambio, Giotto Di Bondone, Andrea Pisano, and Andrea Orcagna. Jason will immerse you in the medieval stone carver’s daily routine and tell you about the famous Florence competition between sculptors for the most prestigious commission in half a century — a set of bronze doors for the Florentine Baptistery.

You will also learn who is considered to be the father of modern European figurative sculpture. During this course, Jason will explore the history of creating a linear perspective, the Gates of Paradise, and the David statue by Donatello.

Jim Fitzgerald
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for creating this; looks very interesting. I’m wondering though about the images though, and wondering if  you could zip/rar/batch the downloadable reference image files. Getting 272 images takes a lot of clicking, time, etc. to get what looks to be some great references.

This problem seems to be wide spread, and sorry, but this could be an opportunity to rethink how students get reference images, including a way to know what you have and have not downloaded.

Thanks for your consideration, and stay healthy.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the suggestion. We will look into this.

Lavender
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This looks really amazing~ I love to see things like this. Aahhh I want to try sculpture someday…

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

If you want to learn to sculpt everything you need is here on the website!

Frank Shayan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I have no interest in sculpture and I could not stop watching.  This was a great show.  I enjoyed it very much.  I loved the history.  I even went on YouTube to try and see how the bronze doors were created.  Jason does a great job.  And he is a great presenter.  He belongs on the History Channel and similar shows on TV.  I will look forward to future episodes and I will follow the podcast.  Thank you very much.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

He belongs right here at nma! Joking— we totally agree. So glad you enjoyed the course! Season 2 is already shot so hopefully we can begin editing soon.

azelzor
    Participant
    No points.

Wonderful! I have not sculpted but this was excellent! I’m excited for Season 2.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.