The Artist’s Sketchbook: Gouache | Part 2

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion The Artist’s Sketchbook: Gouache | Part 2

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

For years, master artist Steve Huston has been asked how he creates his beautiful sketchbooks. In this series, he will teach you how to blend two very distinct processes into one great way to do studies – or for that matter – finishes.

In this lesson, the second in a series, Steve introduces some techniques for sketchbook studies from the work of a handful of old masters. Then he’ll show you his materials and dive right into some gouache studies using opaque watercolor.

Covering landscape, still-life, and figure, Steve shows you why watercolor is such a great tool for planning out a tonal or color composition, why it’s ideal for creating what he refers to as “happy accidents,” and how it can help you make that difficult transition from competent draftsman to first class painter.

Additionally, Steve will put in time using pen and ink, and brush and ink, exploring ideas for planning future paint strokes, seeing how it will help develop your eye for the precise way to track and/or reinvent form on paper or canvas and see how you can sneak a little color and flare into these time-honored tools.

Practice with Steve as he lectures and demonstrates how to begin and finish both quick sketches and more complete renderings.

This series is based on a live-streamed workshop hosted by Art Mentors in late 2017.

cleverdevil76
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I just want to throw in my 2 cents of Steve Huston love. I think I recall him saying in a Proko video that what he really does well is talk. He can bullshit (paraphrase?).
    Beyond the real education he’s providing, I just appreciate so much, the seemingly tertiary information he gives in his lessons.
    In regards to art, they say that art is not learned in a vacuum.  Emphasizing the importance of peer feedback and mentor feedback. Most importantly, someone to talk to about the things you’re trying to learn. Banal things. Things that you’re usually all alone while trying to work out “I’m trying to get this colour by doing this but the light and the thing and the thing.” just simple none sense. He talks you through the “trying” part. He’s WITH YOU for the trying part by vocalizing his own trying. ‘Bullshitting’ if you will.
    An equal amount of respect goes to Glen Vilppu, but Glen is a whole different category. He will never be my/your mentor. If we can separate mentor and teacher, Mr. Vilppu is a teacher. Not “just” a teacher” Maybe the greatest teacher still living, but Steve Huston is a mentor as well. It feels very big brothery. I’m just so grateful.
    And maybe I shouldn’t day-drink and comment, but no one else had begun a discussion. So….

Back to it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.