The Artist’s Sketchbook: Figures in Gouache | Part 3

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion The Artist’s Sketchbook: Figures in Gouache | Part 3

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In the final lesson of the series, master artist Steve Huston begins with some warm-up poses using his fountain pen and then dives into three separate gouache renderings. Watch Steve mix paint, experiment, and make decisions based on reference images.

For years, Steve has been asked how he creates his beautiful sketchbooks. In this series, he will teach you how to blend two very distinct processes into one great way to do studies – or for that matter – finishes. Covering landscape, still-life, and figure, Steve shows you why watercolor is such a great tool for planning out a tonal or color composition, why it’s ideal for creating what he refers to as “happy accidents,” and how it can help you make that difficult transition from competent draftsman to first class painter.

Additionally, Steve will put in time using pen and ink, and brush and ink, exploring ideas for planning future paint strokes, seeing how it will help develop your eye for the precise way to track and/or reinvent form on paper or canvas and see how you can sneak a little color and flare into these time-honored tools. Practice with Steve as he lectures and demonstrates how to begin and finish both quick sketches and more complete renderings.

This series is based on a live-streamed workshop hosted by Art Mentors in late 2017.

cleverdevil76
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

With so much quality content on this site, this series on the sketchbook might be the single most valuable bit of mentorship anyone is likely to come across.
    Just when you start getting exhausted and self doubt is at every corner……
    and I think I watched it in pieces over the course of a month maybe. Lots of other art in-between. Lots of other teaching/lessons. Various practices.
    I wasn’t expecting to come back to this and close out on such a re-affirming high note. Was anyone else moved?

DeborahWage
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I agree. I find myself here over and over.

cleverdevil76
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@DeborahWage Any other recommendations?
    I’ll throw any of the “beginner’s guide to drawing” randomly into the pot. It’s information I don’t need AND sometimes they kind of annoy me. But they stand an equal chance at simply wanting me to draw.
    I don’t even know why I began watching them but I’m glad I did. Again, at random. I think I might just like hearing people talk about drawing.

e_mactaggart
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This videos should be recommended as advance level.  They are good but you just will get general recommendations and clues not very useful at all if you are not familiar with colour schemes, harmonies etc., on the contrary you will get disappointed  and confuse with so many digressions.  Still could work as motivation. It is a pity that this site do not have a proper course for watercolour and gouaches.

Anon Anon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

We need moar videos than this…moar!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.