Texture Issues w/ Charcoal

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Texture Issues w/ Charcoal

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Daniel NorrisDaniel Norris
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Context: I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to any charcoal-based mediums. True story. I’ve been working with Conte and Wolff’s carbon pencils on some cheap, Hobby Lobby newsprint. My main question is as follows: Are these broken textures I’m getting just the status quo with these materials, or am I doing something wrong? I’ve sharpened all of my pencils with painstaking precision. They give very even coverage when I lay them over. But that even coverage is very choppy, like the pencils are only touching high points in the fiber structure of the paper. Which seems odd, because I thought of newsprint as relatively smooth…

Also note that I did not blend at all. I am certain I would get very smooth coverage if I did that, but I’m just wanting to understand these materials better, in general. Perhaps there’s some bomb paper out there that would let me get really crisp coverage? Just not sure…

Always eager for any additional criticisms. Definitely some issues in both, lol…

Ingbretson, 6×4, either Conte or Wolff’s:

Paul Ingbretson 6x4

Tree across the street, 6×6, Wolff’s:

Winter Tree

Carlos Perez
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Daniel, I see you are familiar with watt’s training approach, I wouldn’t be preoccupied with those textures, (unless you’re not putting enough paper behind your drawing).

I would keep focusing on the fundamentals, your landscape looks well.

Your portrait has good work as well, that beard reads well, your realy rhythms match well, good proportions.

Your shadows don’t reed in general, the only shadow we have is showing an abrupt turn (hard edge) instead a slow turning form( lost edge) we need more shadows to showcase the entire volume of the face, remember there’s a skull under and remember the structure of each facing feature.

Keep the great job Daniel

Koen Rutten
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Daniel!

Pro art and Strathmore both make good newsprint. Irrespective the brand, you’ll want the smooth variety or you will not be able to get the soft gradations you’re after. When applying the charcoal make broad strokes using the side of the lead, while maintaining even pressure. Hope that helps.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.