Teapot, Oil on paper, Crit please

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Teapot, Oil on paper, Crit please

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alon MartsianoAlon Martsiano
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Mariella Lawson
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I think this is lovely. The fabric looks really well done, with the shadows. All your colors are fantastic, very rich.

David West
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m new to art, but have a few observaitons. I like the reflections but I think there needs to be a little less blending. It almost looks blury. Unless that is what you were going for. Fabric is great and the proportions look good.

Dominique DèveDominique Dève
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you for your comments. David, I do use the blurring intentionally, it helps to create a focal point in the painting. It also help to create the illusion of depth.

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Alon,

I think this is quite an intimiste still life and I like the general value and color control. I think that the red,blue, yellow palette might be a bit obvious and could’ve been obscured or brought together a little bit but that’s not that big a deal, and at then, a personal choice. Regardless, you handled it well. I think the teapot itself is beautifully rendered but because of the large amount and heavily modeled cloth below it, I feel it loses a little bit. I would recommend simplifying the cloth and focusing on just one or two key folds (or fold formations,) I think that where you do the folds, variation is key. Currently the folds are a little equally spread apart. This might have been what it looked like in life, but cloth and backgrounds both need to be invented a bit to fit into the big design. I like the interaction of color between the teapot and the cloth, I think that’s very tasteful. The one thing that I think could have been slightly simplified is the reflection in the highlight on the teapot. It seems a bit overworked and fuzzy. I think it could’ve been cleaner or sharper, or both, and it would’ve conveyed the texture even better. Then in just one or two places you could’ve added a bit of the reflection. Here it seems like it’s almost a main accent and I wonder if it’s adding that much to the painting as a whole. And finally, I think that the amount of cloth (the cloth part to the teapot and background relationship) should either be expanded or shortened dramatically. So when it comes to the format, either elongate the bottom or crop up so that you have maybe 3/4 teapot’s height of cloth left.

Keep up the great work, I’ll definitely be checking in to see more of your stuff. I think you have quite a painterly sensibility in this piece.

Best,

Iliya <!–more–>

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Iliya, Thank you so much. I’ve been taking your course here and following you and I must say it’s a great honor for me to have you comment and compliment my work.

I Will certainly take your comments with me and implement them going forward and post future work.

Thanks again for this wonderful chance!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.