Study group for painting

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Study Groups Study group for painting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Vansh choraria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, I’m relatively new to painting, and I’d love to know if some of you are interested in being in a group, mostly for discussing, critiquing each other’s paintings and use of colour. I’m currently going through portrait painting for beginners.

Mirian LindgrenMirian Lindgren
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yes 💪

John Kent
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Would love to be part of an active group. Joined NMA one month ago. My main interest is in painting – land and sea also some portraits. However With the main emphasis on drawing I was about to leave NMA!

Amarillo Starlight
    Participant
    No points.

That’s too bad, but remember that being able to draw well is at least half the work of being able to paint well.

Anyway, I would be interested in a study group as well, seems fun.

Miklos Gyori
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey im interested as well. Joined today, into portrait painting at the moment.

John Kent
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ok why not get started. I am a beginner with only about 6 portrait efforts behind me I am going to post a portrait of my niece from a photo  it’s the best I can manage right now. But I’m aware it could be improved hugely.

please critique  freely I want to learn. Will try to rotate later! Why did it rotate!

looking forward to seeing your work and learning from you 🤗

I might even stay here ……..

<!–more–>

PapapaintsPapapaints
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thats good for only 6 paintings.  Are you doing the portrait class?  As critique, id say the cheek color is very intense, and the facial colors are a little flat, mabye overblended.  In the portrait class he talks alot about tiling to turn the form.  Pictures with more dramatic lighting are easier to paint. And startin monochrome lets you focus on values.

Vansh choraria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ho, I’m sorry for replying so late. Saw these today. There are 2 discord groups, one is the official nma group and another i think is started by andrew.just scroll down and you’ll get it. You can ask for critiques for your paintings too.You can join either or both.
    Also, agreed you might wanna start with more dramatic chiaroscuro lighting and may wanna try something so ambiently lit later. That worked out for me. Nma has got some pretty good photos!

John Kent
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Papa….. agree about the cheeks. It would have helped if the original was more suitably lit. That might have pushed me towards a less flat effort. I will study “tiling for turn”. Would love to be much less blended – I feel the choice of colour mix is very beginner.

How do I take down the original photo?

John Kent
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi  Vansh    Just joined Discord.  Johnkent#3875

John Kent
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Not really an active group …is it.

Would love to see other people’s work ……..

Vansh choraria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

He, john, i think andrew will send you an invite 🧐the discord group is pretty active!

John Kent
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

it seems to me that the Discord group is far from active- lots of people but no paintings.

could I be missing a link somewhere?

Vansh choraria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

John, i think you haven’t checked out the channels. There are a lot of artworks,but posted on specific channels meant for a specific type of activity.

Steven Moriarty
    Participant
    No points.

How do I join the discord?

chumnutzly #9802

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.