Still Life- Lemons

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Still Life- Lemons

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jonathon Potter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello all,

I started here at NMA a few weeks ago, and in that time, having looked at a variety of courses, decided to begin practicing painting in oils

Since I am to develop my figure and portrait skills later, I began with this still life with lemons, and I would very much appreciate any critique and/or suggestions for rendering the subject matter.

I am going to work on the detailing of the pot the lemons sit in this afternoon.

(PS. as for the black square and white background, this is intended as a sample for a concept I want to work with later)

(P.P.S apologies for the inconsistent lighting of the painting- my studio space has a large window that lets in cool light and I have a warm lamp to my right)

Thank you for your time, and thank you in advance

Tanya SannutoTanya Sannuto
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I love it! I think it’s looking great.

Jonathon Potter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you!

Here is the updated version

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Jonathon,

I think that this is a pretty striking composition and an impactful painting overall. I, myself, love still lives. I’m including a draw-over with some things that I believe can help solidify and accentuate some of the great things already happening here. The key one is that I don’t think you need to model equally everywhere. Let the volumetric lighter areas stand out by contrast to the darker, flatter shadows and tertiary details. The Dutch are experts at this. Although it might look like every little detail is painted, upon a more global examination, one can really see a very strong hierarchy of accents and elements.

Jonathon Potter
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Iliya, I will certainly keep these in mind and shall go back and attempt to include these into the work as soon as it has dried

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.