Still Life (digital) – I would love a critique, thanks so much for doing this!

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Still Life (digital) – I would love a critique, thanks so much for doing this!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kyle CamuKyle Camu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Mengu Gungor
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Beautiful still life Stephen. Love the colors, and you seem to have a good understanding of rendering transparency and reflections. Only note I would have on that is to be a little more conscious of compression of the reflections toward the edges. I like how you kept the front grapes in focus, and the back grapes out of focus. However, all the grapes in the back have soft edges, and all the grapes in front have hard edges, and it’s usually better to have some more variety in our edges. So you could introduce a few firmer edges for the grapes in the back, maybe directing the eye around or toward the center of the composition. And you could introduce a few select soft edges in the foreground. If you squint, wherever the values are close between grapes might be a good place for a soft or lost edge. I also love your expressive brushwork and mark making. Great job on this, keep on sketching!

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like the brush strokes, very expressive. It would be nice to see some of the warm colors from the grapes in the cast shadow and the background. It will bring the whole thing together. Great job. By the way, I don’t know you can be this painterly with digital art. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Kyle CamuKyle Camu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks so much for the critique!  All the info about edges is very useful Mengu Gungor.  I am going to go back and rework the picture with that in mind.  I hadn’t even though about using harder edges in the more distant grapes and I had all but forgotten about lost edges.  Zhi Su I hadn’t thought about having a cast shadow in the background but I’ll definitely have to try it.  I appreciate the kind words as well.

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I am sorry I didn’t make my comments clear. I didn’t mean putting cast shadow on the background. I mean adding some warm color in the cast shadow on the table top, and add some warm color to the background.

Kyle CamuKyle Camu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Gotcha Zhi Su!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.