Sketching with Light, Shadow, and Mid-Tone

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Sketching with Light, Shadow, and Mid-Tone

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, instructor Sheldon Borenstein teaches you how to use toned paper as a mid-tone in your sketch. You will unlock the potential of having three values in a drawing. Sheldon will teach you his technique for adding white chalk to replicate light hitting the form.

This lesson belongs to the course Stress-Free Sketching. In this 8-week course, Sheldon Borenstein will teach you stress-free ways to sketch and draw. With his 30 years of experience in the entertainment industry and teaching, Sheldon will help you start your artistic career on the right foot. You will learn the essential elements of scribble, shape, form, and the laws of light. Sheldon will walk you through everything from the initial setup to the proper way of sharpening your pencils. He will also share with you his favorite tools to use while sketching.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

Lisa Gerardi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It was very hard to see the initial graphic footprint and I feel like I have no clue what I’m doing. 🙁

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Lisa,

You are right, and that is intentional. Both Sheldon and Glenn Vilppu work this way because it doesn’t require you to erase and over work the lay-in. Its common for beginners to put down their initial marks too dark (I am still struggling with this). Chances are Sheldon can barely see the marks too. Its just a reference line to suggest where the forms might be as you work into the drawing. I’ve seen Glenn work in real life and you can barely see his marks. What I advise you to do is play the video at full screen and watch his hand where he is marking, if you cant see the mark you can fast forward and look at the reference image of is drawing, then THINK about where you should place the mark. The most important part is figuring these thing out. It is bad practice to copy what the instructor is doing without analyzing why they are doing it.
    Its also good practice to draw the reference before starting the lesson, then watch the lesson and draw it again. this way you can compare ideas you inherit from the instructor to the ideas you had before watching this course. Acknowledging these things in a conscious way helps you internalize the principles.

If this is too uncomfortable, I would recommend the sight size course. This focuses on how to get a very accurate lay-in, rather than constructing it as you go.
    https://www.nma.art/courses/complete-sight-size-drawing-course/

I hope you find this helpful

Vaiva KankevičienėVaiva Kankevičienė
    Participant
    No points.

I think I understood something! Thank you Sheldon very much!Branch from hell

CompositeComposite
    Participant
    No points.

I didn’t have any toned paper so I drew it in Procreate. I think I really got something out of this lesson! I want to try the drapery next. I feel like I’ve been lacking fundamentals for a long time, so I think I’m getting a lot out of this. Thanks!

CompositeComposite
    Participant
    No points.

I spent three hours on this in Procreate, but I still feel like I don’t really know what I’m doing. Any pointers would be really helpful. I feel like I was thrown in the deep end with this one. Drapery folds are just so incredibly complex when I am really new to this. I think I should have gone back to pears, haha.

Oleh Kosynec
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello! Just wonder if I can get some critique here, hope I understood everything right and it’s a proper place to share my work.

Thanks for the awesome lessons!

JackJack
    Participant
    No points.

Hello Oleh, there is an ‘open critique’ forum too, which you might consider posting your work to for a critique. I expect more people would see it.

https://www.nma.art/forums/forum/art-artwork/open-critique/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.