Self portrait with them oils

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Self portrait with them oils

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    André Girão TaufferAndré Girão Tauffer
    Participant
    No points.

It’s been a while since my last portrait, but the proportions on this one came better than most of my previous ones, so I would really like to get some insights on any possible improvements for this

Participant
    No points.

The post seems to have deleted the image, so here it is

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Andre

I like your portrait its expressive moody And draws the viewer in . In terms of critique there may be minor technical tweaks needed  .some paint Mark’s/shading  are misleading to gesture /form also the right eyeglass may be slightly large ,something there anyway  also is mouth on right axis overall I would say a lovely emotionally exciting portrait   great use of colour just needing slight tweaks which is so much better than empty technical perfection .Sorry I can’t be more specific  I lack specific formal training in portraits

Tim

Participant
    No points.

Thanks Tim! I’ll keep an eye out for the misleading paint marks/shadding, it would be great if you could point me to any specific mark or shadding you think is misleading. You’re right about the glasses, the one over the left eye should actually be bigger. Idk about the mouth in the right axis, I actually do struggle a lot with mouth drawing overall, my plan is to take a course here on portrait and head anatomy next, would be great to get a suggestion if someone knows of a good head anatomy to look at.

Thank you for the compliments and I’ll keep the critics in mind 🙏🏼

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Nice work, like the cool ,well balanced colours.I think  some of the forms ,like supra orbital ridges, forehead ,quite well depicted.

What catches my attention…is that on the left side of forehead, in the shadowarea, colour  looks bit muddled.Also, just behind the lower rim of right glass and in right side of lower neck,the shadow areas  appear bit misplaced and unnecessarily draws attention of the viewers.

Hope to see more nice works.

Participant
    No points.

Thank you srsanyal for pointing out the misplaced shadows. This does in fact feel misplaced, maybe I’ll fix it later on. Also the muddled colors in the shadow part of the forehead. There I’ll admit I didn’t care to work much on hahaha, and I’m not certain yet that I want that part to be more defined then it is

Thanks again for taking the time, much appreciated!

heidi lorenzheidi lorenz
    Participant
    No points.

Good day Andre! I’m enjoying what you are doing. I’m a student and learning to hone my eye. I can identify you are using soft edges to help areas recede and sharper more defined edges to attract the viewers eyes. That is nice. Specifically, soft on the right side (as the viewer) of the hair and harder more defined and dramatic on the left side of the portrait. The light is interesting, I’m not sure if I’ve identified it correctly. Maybe two light sources one from slightly below and one coming from the left side of the image…or maybe just one from lower left?? Which ever it is interesting and adds a certain mood to the image. (Reminds me of ‘The The’ album cover back in the day!!)  The left nostril looks good and solid right proportions however I view the right nostril appears to be absent it doesn’t feel solid to me. Possibly less defined because of the stronger light source there??  I notice the eye glasses are disproportionate and not symmetrical. Technically as the glasses recede into the picture they should become slightly smaller tho it seems you may have over emphasized that here. These are the only areas that to my eye seem to need some possible adjustment. All in all tho it seems you are doing well and on a good track with your art. Nice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.