Sculpting the Female Figure in Clay

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Sculpting the Female Figure in Clay

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, master sculptor Eric Michael Wilson demonstrates the entire process of sculpting a third-life scale female figure in clay. In this in-depth and unique lesson no part of the sculpting process will be skipped over or omitted. You will learn everything from working with sculpting tools and clay, to measuring from the life model, to carrying the sculpture to a beautiful refined stage. You will learn the practical, nuts-and-bolts techniques needed to sculpt the figure in clay with confidence and a clear sense of artistic direction.

Materials

• Sculpture House Roma Plastalina Modeling Clay – No. 1
    • Aluminum Armature Wire
    • Armature Stand
    • Veritas Proportional Calipers
    • Wooden Tools: Flat, Paddle, Curved
    • Metal Scraper
    • Rake Tool
    • Kemper Tools Ball-End Tool
    • Knife
    • Palette Knife
    • Princeton Paint Brush
    • Loop Tool
    • Kemper Tools Rubber Kidney Finishing Tool
    • Plastic-coated Screen
    • Weber Odorless Turpenoid – Turpentine Substitute
    • Crescent Wrench
    • Side Cutters/Needle-Nose Pliers
    MatthewCherry
    Participant
    No points.

Hello!

I am really enjoying this class (and all your others).  I really liked the setup that Eric Michael Wilson uses so I purchased the same sculpture stand and the same back iron!  While I have built armatures in the past, they have all been free standing.  For the life of me I can’t figure out how to remove the back iron from the piece once it’s completed.  If someone could please explain this to me I would be forever grateful!

Best,

Matthew

lori
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Mathew – you won’t be removing the back iron for a piece like this in very soft oil-based clay. The piece would not support itself. The work is meant as a temporary piece and to make permanent would need to have a mold made and then cast in another medium. The backiron would then be ‘chased’ or removed from the final work and the whole plugged and resculpted to remove all reference to it in the final casting. Hope this helps!

juligan22
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello! Can somebody send me a link to buy that plastic coated screen? I don’t know if that a sanding plastic screen for sanding drywall or maybe a plastic screen for strainers. Thank for your help!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.