Russian Drawing Course: Skull for Critique

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Russian Drawing Course: Skull for Critique

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback Open Critique 1
    Hi everyone.

I’d love some feedback on my graphite skull drawing, both structure and shading. Skull measures 27 x 22cm /  approx 11 x 9”. I really value an honest critique because it helps me grow, so please feel free to say what’s not working as well as what is. Thank you in advance 🙂.

Deborah

Dominique DèveDominique Dève
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello,

I admire your patience and your search for details! I am a drawer too and I can’t spend so much time on a piece. For me, you could try to make your shadow darker (using a softer graphite pencil may be) and increase your speed to go to the essentials… But it is Just the way I work ( you can check my style on Instagram at @eventuraportrait). Keep on working!

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Dominique,

Thank you for your kind words and feedback. I suspected my shadows weren’t dark enough, so thank you for saying so. I will work on that. In relation to working faster, Iliya says to keep the high levels of detail for the parts closest to the viewer, so I wonder whether it would be better to lose some more of the detail in the shadow towards the back of the skull as it wraps around away from the light?

I enjoyed looking through your Instagram feed and followed you 🙂.

Thank you again.

Deborah

Charles HuCharles Hu
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah,

Great Draftsmanship!  There can still use bit contrast in few of Deeper areas to give more depth as well as contrast.

I gave you few suggestions on grouping your background value. So it can work more cohesive with your skull.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Charles,

‘Thank you so much for your suggestions. I’ll add more contrast and depth as you suggest. I appreciate your direction for background shading. I didn’t know how to plan it besides knowing I needed to create contrast between the skull and background. Your ideas give structure/flow to the background that are really helpful. I’ll work on that too.

Thanks for your time,

Deborah

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.