Russian Drawing Course Part 9: Deep Muscles of the Face

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Russian Drawing Course Part 9: Deep Muscles of the Face

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson we will be using reference from one-of-a-kind castings of a real human cadaver by famed art anatomist Eliot Goldfinger to do a study of the form creating muscles of the face.

Students are encouraged to work from the NMA reference images and 3D viewer included on this page*.

Join Ukrainian-born artist Iliya Mirochnik as he passes on a 250-year-old academic method preserved at the Repin Academy in Saint Petersburg, Russia and seldom taught outside of the Academy and never before on camera.

The Russian Academic drawing and painting approaches were uninterrupted by the modern art movements that transformed representational art in the West, and as a result, they provide a unique and clear lineage to the greater art traditions of the past. As a powerful approach that is both constructive and depictive, it combines the two methods that prevail in contemporary representational art.

In these three drawing Courses, we have set out to condense the entire program, spanning over eight years into a logical, step-by-step procedure. We have made improvements and added resources and exercises to explicitly drive home the concepts that are required to work in this approach.

We have also structured the course so that it is not only useful for professional and experienced artists but also artists with no drawing experience whatsoever.

In the first part of our Russian Academic Drawing Course, Iliya taught you how to hone your fundamental drawing skills. In this next part, Head & Neck, you will undertake a new challenge: the portrait.

In order to draw the complexity of nature we need to study all the anatomy that makes up the surface form of the head and neck.

Head & Neck covers topics such as the structure of the skull, individual bones of the skull, deep muscles of the face, skeleton of the neck & shoulder girdle, muscles of the shoulder girdle, and the portrait drawing process.

The New Masters Academy Coaching Program directly supports this Course. If you enroll in the coaching program, you can request an artist trained in the Russian Academic Method including Iliya Mirochnik himself. Click here to enroll in the Coaching Program.

Materials

• Sanguine pencil
    • Piece of sanguine colored chalk
    • Vine charcoal
    • Charcoal pencil
    • Notebook
    • Graphite pencils
    • Kneaded and Hard Erasers
    • Sanding Block
    • Utility Knife
    • Roll of Paper, Smooth Sketchbook paper
    • Staples
    • Staple gun
    • Artist panel
    • Easel
    • Light source

* Reference material is only available for premium subscriptions. If you don’t have premium access to the reference, you can pause the video when the reference is shown.

jsnodonnell7
    Participant
    No points.

Hi, i can’t access the 3d viewer for this part of the course. I have the same problem for the previoius section on the Skull. Help….please!! Anybody 🙂

rctregearrctregear
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Did you see the password which is at the top of the 3d login screen? It took me a while to find it!

Natalie MontelongoNatalie Montelongo
    Keymaster
    Administrator Badge
    No points.

Did you locate the password jsnodonnell7?

Please let me know if the issue persists.

gil_mello
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

(5/6/19) I am having similar issue with the 3D model, I cannot open it even with the password (JvkTjM98) that is shown in the top.

G. Mello

gil_mello
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

sorry, password is JvkTjNq8, just a small error I typed below…still, it does not work.

Rasha Al Sarraj
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

What pencil is Ilya using in these videos (hardness or softness)? TIA

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Rasha, Iliya helped curate this supply box that comes with three graphite pencils of varying hardness
    https://store.nma.art/product/masterbox/

Rasha Al Sarraj
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Daniel – I’ve already got pencils, but noticed he switches between two pencils in the video and was wondering if he started with say an HB and then went with a softer pencil. More curious about what he was doing and why.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Rasha, yes he uses pencils with varying hardness’s. Harder pencils for lighter values and softer pencils for darker values. You can get a similar result with just a soft graphite pencil, but you have to develop a lot of control.
    I hope this helps 🙂

Jenifer Andrea Arana HerreraJenifer Andrea Arana Herrera
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Well done!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.