Russian Drawing Course Part 3: Measuring from Observation

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Russian Drawing Course Part 3: Measuring from Observation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Join Ukrainian-born artist Iliya Mirochnik as he passes on a 250-year-old academic method preserved at the Repin Academy in Saint Petersburg, Russia and seldom taught outside of the Academy and never before on camera.

The Russian Academic drawing and painting approaches were uninterrupted by the modern art movements that transformed representational art in the West, and as a result, they provide a unique and clear lineage to the greater art traditions of the past. As a powerful approach that is both constructive and depictive, it combines the two methods that prevail in contemporary representational art.

In these three drawing Courses, we have set out to condense the entire program, spanning over eight years into a logical, step-by-step procedure. We have made improvements and added resources and exercises to explicitly drive home the concepts that are required to work in this approach.

We have also structured the course so that it is not only useful for professional and experienced artists but also artists with no drawing experience whatsoever.

The first course: the Fundamentals is our most comprehensive beginner-level course to date, including everything you need to get started.

In this lesson, Iliya will break down one of the most vital skills in this method: measuring. Using a pair of knitting needles, you will learn how to take accurate angles from life and then apply it to your work. You will also learn how to use proportional measurement and how to work from flat photos.

The New Masters Academy Coaching Program directly supports this Course. If you enroll in the coaching program, you can request an artist trained in the Russian Academic Method including Iliya Mirochnik himself. Click here to enroll in the Coaching Program.

Materials

• Graphite pencils
    • Kneaded and Hard Erasers
    • Sanding Block
    • Utility Knife
    • Roll of Paper, Smooth Sketchbook paper
    • Staples
    • Staple gun
    • Easel
    • Light source
    JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

Are the photos for measuring available in the library?

Shawn Laughlin
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’ve watched part 3 of this course 4 times and every time I choose to continue this course it throws me to part 3.

Natalia Dowding
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Firstly, thank you very much for your course. I am a beginner. The course is perfectly structured and your videos are always clear and up to point. This is exactly the course I was looking for.

I am a struggling to get my angles right. I do my drawing from different locations, having rather busy lifestyle and much travelling. I often have to position my object (box etc) at the side of my easel. So to measure angle i have to step to side, turn and so on. I think it becomes a problem for measuring angles as my own position is slightly changing while move out to measure and then back to the easel. Can this pose a problem and how can i improve it?

Aliz Izabella KiralyAliz Izabella Kiraly
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Where are the photos for the measurnig from photograph assignment?

Edit: I found these in case you need it: https://www.nma.art/images/drawing-forms-the-cube-2/

Daniel Cairns
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks, Aliz!

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I am happy to announce that we have added 29 images to this lesson’s reference area 😀

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Aliz, that is some impressive detective work! I went ahead and added these to the reference area for convenience 😀

Anna Zantiotis
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

this makes no sense to me!! I keep trying..

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Anna, if you have any specific questions, we will try to help you 🙂

Brittney BachBrittney Bach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yeah, I’m gonna need Iliya himself to show me how to do this cuz I’m at a complete loss!! Am I holding the sticks at a 90 degree angle? And how do I hold them while trying to mark the page? I completely lose my angles!! This is beyond confusing 😫😫

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Also do we use the pictures for references even if they’ll be different sizes?

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Yes you can use any reference you’d like, and scale appropriately.

If you’d like Iliya to teach you, you can sign up for the coaching program 🙂
    https://www.nma.art/coaching/

Participant
    No badges. No points.

I mean I like my coach. I just wish the instructors were more accessible. If I only get to talk to my coach once a month, who else should I turn to for questions or support? The instructors should at least provide their emails or something so students can ask questions about lessons. Cuz I’m flying blind right now about how to move forward. I don’t know if I’m doing it right or not. And I really don’t want to develop bad habits that I’ll ultimately have to unlearn in the future, when I’m paying to learn the right way the first time.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Brittney, I forwarded your message over to Natalie our coaching coordinator, so that your feed back is heard and considered moving forward.
    I don’t know if you are aware, but we have a really great discord channel where thousands of students come together in chatrooms to discuss art, give critiques, and help each other out. Its free, you just have to create a username.

https://discord.gg/aMCr8Xykyk

This link might expire, so remind me to send another invite if it does.  I hope to see you there

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.