Reductive Watercolor Method for Illustration

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Reductive Watercolor Method for Illustration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

In this lesson, you will learn how to work with watercolor using a reductive method. Instructor George Pratt will show you how he uses specially prepared paper to illustrate a figure. He will also teach you how to utilize local color and glazing to develop your paintings. Then, you will watch him add darks toward the end to bring the watercolor illustration together.

This lesson belongs to the course Rendering Techniques for Illustration and Sequential Art. In this 5-week course, George Pratt will teach you a diverse range of techniques to use in your sequential art. You will be introduced to the importance of mark-making and experimenting when creating illustrations. George will demonstrate how to work with acrylic and watercolor to add complexity to your artwork. Throughout this course, you will learn the value of exploring different techniques, and from there, be able to express yourself in your sequential art practice.

Throughout this course, you’ll have access to the NMA community for feedback and critiques to improve your work as you progress.

Fintan Boyle
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Really interesting reductive workflow and thanks for the Burt Silverman book reference.  Would the washes of China White have been required using the original Whatman paper?  The reason I ask is because I have a mixed media paper from a company called Goznak in Russia.  The paper is referred to as being ‘Whatman Mark A’ and is designed for the ‘wet technique’ of using Russian sauce, which is also a reductive technique.  I’m wondering if it is similar to the Whatman paper you mentioned that the Disney guys used back in the day.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.