Proportions

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Proportions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Alessandra Bonvicini
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Everyone, I’m lost.
    In my drawing, even if I kept the same heights and widths than in the photo reference, the main head doesn’t look “right”. Help me to see.
    (In the photo the head doesn’t look disproportionate 😉

Any critique, advice will be more than welcome.
    Stay well and safe.

Graphite study

Tomas ChapotTomas Chapot
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Alessandra, nice drawings! Try not to copy the photo as you see it, but think about the perspective, form and structure that comes with it. Here i attach a photo of a quick structure sketch i hope it helps

Alessandra Bonvicini
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you so much Tomas.

Gavin Hubbard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I agree with Thomas. I think these are missing a clear que to what Steve Huston calls ‘box logic’, the appearance of turning of the forms in 3d space. Did you start each of these as simple ‘constructions’ or by putting down the outline as best you could and filling in the details?

If it’s the outlines, then I’d suggest building the portraits out from the big simple shapes first , then ‘building’ the smaller ones onto each of those.

I am not a professional, so take my advice with a pinch of your own judgement! 🙂

Alessandra Bonvicini
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you, Gavin… I did’t know the “box logic”. Great advice, I appreciate it.

Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Alessandra, really nice drawing. A head turned up (or down) is very difficult so you did really well. I agree with Tomas and Gavin’s comments about structure and the box model. The first thing that I notice are alignments and anatomy.

I would enlarge the size of the cranium and thicken the neck.  If you compress the height of the head, the proportions will generally read better. I would also make sure the brown line, eye line and fore head wrinkles all wrap around the cylinder of the head. Use the ear as a marker or guide. Hope that helps.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.forum.nma.art/580654/su1m4lpbfnb79bbgb9u0z435yzn5a3yn.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.