Potrait sketches after some NMA lessons :any critique appreciated

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Potrait sketches after some NMA lessons :any critique appreciated

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Cheerful<!–more–>Stare

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi srsanyal

I like what you’ve done. Especially the first portrait. My only critique would be to try and show more structure under the face and head. How you do that is another question! Maybe thinking more in three dimensions or choose some places to place the occasional straight edge to emphasise the form, ie the jaw , nose or brow ridge. I dunno.  Art instructors may think otherwise…

lizzie

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you  for your comments, much appreciated.

Vera Coberley
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m just a beginning art student, but for what it’s worth, both portraits look “life-like” to me. I like how you’re able to express the disposition of your subjects. You use just enough detail to express the essential. I think it’s great how the first portrait illustrates a darker skin complexion, while still rendering highlights. And I really like the moodiness of the soft and lost edges of the last portrait. I would like to learn portrait drawing, as well. Is there a course you would recommend for a beginner?

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Vera,

Thank you  for your kind comments.I think potrait drawing for beginners by Chris legaspi is helpful, he talks you through the entire process,not diving into intricate details of anatomy  (like the  russian course, which i feel would be for more advanced artists).Besides i have seen some of the lessons from constructive head drawing by Glenn Vilpu(i try to watch all his courses, his  methods of overlapping forms using simple shapes , even for figure or animal  drawing or head drawing courses  are simply great and applicable everywhere ).I have heard that Steve Huston course of potrait drawing   is also  a celebrated  , famed course, but i am yet to watch it.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sanyal

TimTim
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Srsanyal

I really like the second portrait more contrast I also really like the composition in the second it’s really arresting very good eyes  , subjectively I feel the composition in the first is not as strong and the tonal values  are less clear to read

Tim

srsanyal
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.