Portrait of baby as an artist

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Art & Artwork Open Critique Portrait of baby as an artist

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    GaryMGaryM
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hiya

Here’s a piece I’ve almost completed after watching Steve Houstons painting lessons. I’ve experimented with a more ‘impressionistic’ way of painting than I normally do (I think!) and a very limited palette. Would love to know any views and critique/tips. It’s based on my one year old who is keeping us very busy during lockdown!

thanks

Gary

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Really nice work! The paint brushes are arranged very evenly. Try giving them more variety. Also the values in the face should be simplified. The contrasty strokes are overpowering the overall form. Try to get it back to a simpler egg-type of shape and subordinate the details more. Keep it up!

GaryMGaryM
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua…really helpful and spot on notes…aah I never even thought about the paintbrushes at the time. The head is my second version – I painted over the first as I got too caught up in the details and still managed to do it again a second time (although this is an improvement on the first!). One minute I had a large brush painting in the shadow shape and before I knew it – a tiny sable!

Thanks again for your notes.

Gary

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

You can literally paint the head as an egg type form and then paint the details over that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.